For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
skyzzx's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, October 10th, 2016 4:28 PM

AT&T unable or unwilling to move a cost from one line to another

I have been trying to work with AT&T for about two hours now with unaccaptible results. I want to move a new iphone charge from one of my lines to another line. AT&T doesn't allow their CE's to do this. I also have an AT&T microcell and my calls keep getting dropped in the middle of a conversation. Again, AT&T seems to be unable to do anything about this. AT&T's answer to my delima is to go to their GO phone service. You have got to be kidding me. My answer is that there must be a carrier out there who actually has a customer appreciation plan. I have been with AT&T since they were ma bell. I can't believe that their care for their long time custumers is so low. I will be changing carriers as soon as possible.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

.....the best analogy I can come up with....  

You buy a new car,  take out a bank loan in your name,  the VIN number is on the loan, all in your name only.   You or the wife can drive the car.   But you can't sell or trade in the car without paying off the loan.   

The IMEI of the phone is tied by the installment sale to the original line, and can't be moved without paying it off.   

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

Unable.  Contracts or Next installments remain on the line and can't be moved.  You can move the phone, but not the financial obligation. 

You do NOT want Gophone service as they cannot use a Microcell.  

Is it possible you are wanting to buy a phone and they suggested you buy an inexpensive Gophone?  (Not switch to Gophone service)

Is your wifi service at home adequate?  The Microcell depends on your home wifi connection to make calls over the Internet.  If the Microcell is not placed properly, your signal would be poor.  

It is recommended the Microcell be placed near a window to get best signal.

@OttoPylot may have more suggestions.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

That's kind of the deal the Next "deal", no interest but it stays on that line until you pay it off.

Switching to GoPhone would require you to pay it off.  The same if you left AT&T.

If you really need it off that line, pay it with a credit card and move it, but now you're paying interest. But at least you can stop paying for that line.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

As I said, I want to move the charge from one phone line to another. I still have the obligation to pay off the phone, but since the phone is lost or stolen I don't want to keep the number that it was assigned to. I am just asking that the balance be moved to a line that I am using and to drop the line that belonged to the missing phone. I am not attempting to get out of the obligation.

I am now retired and not using my line nearly as much and need to save money. I was asking AT&T how I can reduce the charges and the phone agent suggest the I move to a GO phone setup. This person didn't say anything about the repurcussions of doing so.

The MicroCell is sitting right in front of my couch, so I don't see how my connection to it could be spotty. Both my wife's phone and my new and old phone has issues of bad connections and dropping calls. BTW, my my internet connection typically runs at 65GB with no issues.

Thank you for your help.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

And as we explained, it cannot be done.   The line can't be canceled without the entire balance coming due.

the Microcell....

The Microcell cannot be used with a Gophone.  It can only be used by a postpaid phone.   Users who switch a postpaid to Gophone often get service until the phone unregistered from postpaid.  

A Microcell is recommended to be placed within 3 feet of a window.  Moving to a different window may improve reception.

If your phone is an iPhone 6 or newer, and on postpaid, it can use your home wifi for service.  Turn on wifi calling in settings.    

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

If the other line of service doesn't have an actual contract or Installment plan, you can do something called a "cross-upgrade"; its not a complicated process, it's just odd to explain and visualize from just reading the forum. I'll show you how I did it when I had this issue. I have 2 lines (mine and girlfriend)

Line1: NO contract or NEXT Installment
Line2: iPhone 6s on NEXT

She wanted a new phone but wasn't upgrade eligible. So we performed a cross-upgrade

Line1: gave the 0-month agreement to her
Line2: transferred her iPhone 6s NEXT Installment to me, &; upgraded her line to an iPhone 7.

This could only happen when "cross-upgrading" as it's done all in one transaction

Final Status
Line1: Old iPhone 6s NEXT Installment
Line2: New iPhone 7 NEXT Installment

I'll just payoff the old iPhone 6s by end of year so that financially I stay close to what I was paying before cross-upgrading.

Not 100% sure why anyone would want to "transfer" their Installment to another line just for kicks and giggles as financially it's the same on either line. My assumption is you want to cancel or port out without getting your device charged off. In that case I have a solution... do a cross upgrade like what I did, but unlike what I did with line2 and getting an iPhone 7... get a cheap flip phone that's like $50 (yes flip phones can be on NEXT installments too); then payoff the $50 once the original Installment has been transfered to the other line of service & BAAM you now manipulated the system to your favor. If that's what you wanted to do and need a better example, let me know and I'll help you out

Now if you want to transfer the NEXT installment to a whole other account, that's completely another story. I want to say you're out of luck but I'm also sure it'll be very complicated if possible and you're just asking to errors to occur while processing.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

@08GTCS.  If you had read the first post, the OP is trying to CANCEL a line, not upgrade a phone.  

Second, what you propose is NOT done.  There is no such thing as borrowed or cross upgrades anymore.  All carriers tie installments to the line.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 read 2nd to last paragraph where I give example of how to do this with the person wanting to cancel and avoid a charge off. Cross/shared upgrades are available and still offered. I literally just did this in September 2016 flawlessly.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@08GTCS.  If you had read the first post, the OP is trying to CANCEL a line, not upgrade a phone.  

Second, what you propose is NOT done.  There is no such thing as borrowed or cross upgrades anymore.  All carriers tie installments to the line.

@lizdance40

In this case @08GTCS is right you can take and move a next agreement to another line when upgrading.  I do it all the time.  Since  I buy a phone on next and pay it off in 2 months.  Then rinse and repeat and they transfer the open upgrade line to mine.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

@08GTCS.  If you work for ATT you need to fix your profile to state so.   

@GLIMMERMAN76   But you aren't canceling a line.    I made this request when they put my sons Next agreement on my line in error.  I was told it could not be done.  The party line from ATT has always been, it cannot be done.  I don't know how it was shoe-horned into the system. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.