Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T’s Response to Hurricane Harvey

Former Employee

AT&T’s Response to Hurricane Harvey

Beginning on Aug. 26, 2017, we will issue credits and waive additional charges to provide unlimited data, voice and text for AT&T wireless customers and unlimited voice and text to AT&T PREPAID customers in impacted areas. Please refer to http://about.att.com/inside_connections_blog/hurricane_harvey for specific details.

AT&T has set up emergency response equipment in strategic locations, in both Texas and Louisiana, which includes satellite COLTs (Cell on Light Trucks), Emergency Communications Vehicles (ECVs) and charging stations.

We have also launched a Severe Weather 4-in-1 Mix channel on DIRECTV and a Severe Weather Channel on U-verse to provide dedicated coverage of Hurricane Harvey. To learn more about AT&T’s Severe Weather Mix Channels, please visit: http://about.att.com/newsroom/severe_weather_mix_channel.html

Additional information and tips for disaster preparedness can be found at Inclement Weather – Be Prepared and www.att.com/vitalconnections.

Important Information for Friends & Family of Hurricane Harvey Victims: Robocall Insurance Scams

Message 1 of 72
Former Employee

Re: Hurricane Harvey/payment

Hey there, @Cdennen!

Per the AT&T press release linked above:

"Customers in these areas may still receive data alert notifications during these protected dates, but billing will reflect the correct data charges. Credits will post in 2-3 billing cycles."

For more details, click on the link in the original post above.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Mariana

Community Manager

Message 31 of 72
ACE - Master

@Cdennen wrote:
AT&T so I just received a data announcement that I will be charge extra for overage soon. Sooooooo you are not going to give us a credit for the data used during the storm? How heartless. I promise as soon as businesses are up and running, I will be out changing my services! AT&T you have no integrity! Here we are going crazy on our phones, texting frantically with our loved ones during this hard time and all along you are taking advantage of your customers that are in distress. So sad that you are so money hungry that you cannot do the honorable thing in the middle of the worst natural disaster to ever hit our area.

AT&T has announced it will waive data, text, and voice overage charges for those in the areas affected. If that's you, you don't have anything to worry about. 

I'm sure the automated systems warning you about data used weren't turned off, because they still apply to most customers. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 72
Contributor

Overage? What does that mean? It says I have used 75% of my data? Of it is high because of extra data during the storm. So are you going to waive the data used during that time?
Message 33 of 72
ACE - Expert

@Cdennen wrote:
Overage? What does that mean? It says I have used 75% of my data? 

Overages are what happen when you go over your data.

When you hit 101% you'll be over your data for the month (unless you have rollover left).

Of it is high because of extra data during the storm. So are you going to waive the data used during that time?

Did you read the links provided?

• Are you in once of the areas mentioned in the linked article?
  • Where?
  • When is your data cycle (from what date to what date)?

If it's higher than usual DUE to use during that time, they'll figure out a way to credit you. I don't know how they do that calculation, but I do not recall any complainers AFTER the credits from the last big hurricane. 

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 34 of 72
ACE - Expert

@Gary L The usage warnings include any rollover. In other words, if you get a 75% warning, it's for 75% of base plan plus any roll over. I actually used my rollover last month for only the second time but still never hit 100%. I only got the 75% warning, never even got to 90%.

Message 35 of 72

Hopefully everyone will be patient with Att. I think they are trying to do the right thing.
Message 36 of 72
Contributor

Hurricane Harvey

We lost our internet two days ago and have not yet gotten in back. Will our service come back on automatically or is there something I need to do to reset it?
Message 37 of 72
Contributor

hurricane relief overage charges

i read something about att not charging overage charges for people in bexar county. Is this true?

Message 38 of 72
ACE - Sage

Re: hurricane relief overage charges

Yes

http://about.att.com/story/waiving_overage_charges_for_customers_impacted_by_hurricane_harvey.html

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 39 of 72
Contributor

Re: Hurricane Harvey Help

What about internet service? I don't see anything about the repair status on that.

Message 40 of 72
ACE - Expert

@kats67 wrote:

What about internet service? I don't see anything about the repair status on that.

I haven't seen anything about that, but there are separate forums for other services. They might be posting about it over there.

This is the cellular forums.

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 41 of 72
Contributor

Your efforts during a time of crisis taking part in aid and relief for the victims of Harvey - is wholeheartedly appreciated! It speaks volumes about the integrity of AT&T being a world class type of company that truly cares about the well being of it's customers - something routinely missing in today's customer care department with almost any other service provider - but y'all are stepping up in a big way in a time of need - thank you - I am a prepaid wireless customer in one of the affected areas left by hurricane Harvey - Ft Bend County, Tx - I would just like to mention that with my prepaid package I have with y'all - I already have unlimited voice and unlimited texting and what I need at this time is the unlimited high speed LTE data until the 15th of September because the allotted 6gigs I receive per cycle has been used reducing my data speed significantly to 2g and wifi here is even slower if even available during this crisis and it's critical that I have the data through the AT&T towers at LTE speed - so is there any way y'all can please provide the same data for your prepaid customers that you provide for your billed wireless customers because I'd like to think that prepaid customers are just as important to y'all as your billed customers are - thank you for your time and your commitment to your customers!
Message 42 of 72

I just received a snotty message from AT&T regarding me going over my voice minutes. Did y'all not notice that I'm in Wharton, Texas? Had you considered ASKING if we're OK? If you had, you would have learned that I'm flooded out of my home and am trying to find another place for me and my family to live, hence the increased usage. You might consider changing your procedure- I KNOW I will consider finding another provider for my cell service!

Bill

FORMERLY of Wharton, Texas

[Personal information removed]

Message 43 of 72
ACE - Expert

@glassmanwharton wrote:

I just received a snotty message from AT&T regarding me going over my voice minutes. Did y'all not notice that I'm in Wharton, Texas? 

No, the computer's whose job it is to text you with a factual message does not look to see where you are, it's irrelevant to the computer. The billing computer does not understand what a hurricane is. It's not a person looking at your account and typing out a text.

As far as the computer is concerned, you are over your minutes and it is doing it's job. It does not know which areas that AT&T plans to waive costs later, it's just doing the basic function it was programed to do.

As an intelligent human, you should have more ability than an unintelligent billing computer, you should understand that this is automatically done. 

Had you considered ASKING if we're OK? If you had, you would have learned that I'm flooded out of my home and am trying to find another place for me and my family to live, hence the increased usage.

Having a computer text all of you to ask how you are is pretty impractical (especially since the computer doesn't know what that even means?)

I'm very glad you're safe and well enough to connect to the internet to vent about this!!!  Sorry about your home.

Message 44 of 72

Perhaps in times of catastrophe AT&T should consider telling the COMPUTER to NOT send out such messages to customer addresses in affected zip codes or area codes. That shouldn't be tough row to how for a decent programmer. And NO- with everything else going on, I was NOT aware that the message was computer-generated.
Message 45 of 72
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support