Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T’s Response to Hurricane Harvey

Former Employee

AT&T’s Response to Hurricane Harvey

Beginning on Aug. 26, 2017, we will issue credits and waive additional charges to provide unlimited data, voice and text for AT&T wireless customers and unlimited voice and text to AT&T PREPAID customers in impacted areas. Please refer to http://about.att.com/inside_connections_blog/hurricane_harvey for specific details.

AT&T has set up emergency response equipment in strategic locations, in both Texas and Louisiana, which includes satellite COLTs (Cell on Light Trucks), Emergency Communications Vehicles (ECVs) and charging stations.

We have also launched a Severe Weather 4-in-1 Mix channel on DIRECTV and a Severe Weather Channel on U-verse to provide dedicated coverage of Hurricane Harvey. To learn more about AT&T’s Severe Weather Mix Channels, please visit: http://about.att.com/newsroom/severe_weather_mix_channel.html

Additional information and tips for disaster preparedness can be found at Inclement Weather – Be Prepared and www.att.com/vitalconnections.

Important Information for Friends & Family of Hurricane Harvey Victims: Robocall Insurance Scams

Message 1 of 72
ACE - Expert

Re: Hurricane Harvey Help

@glassmanwharton wrote:
Perhaps in times of catastrophe AT&T should consider telling the COMPUTER to NOT send out such messages to customer addresses in affected zip codes or area codes. That shouldn't be tough row to how for a decent programmer. And NO- with everything else going on, I was NOT aware that the message was computer-generated.

Technically, you are over and they sent you a text to say you are over. 

As AT&T is refining the areas that they are crediting, it's going to be constantly changing list.

I'd think you'd want AT&T working on fixing connections for the people in the area of the catastrophe who have no service (cellular/internet/TV). Instead of a text informing you of the status your account. This is really a first world problem.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 46 of 72

Are you telling us that your programmers are out in the field restoring service?

As a business owner of over 40 years, I can tell you that businesses that show consideration for their customers fare much better than those who appear to be "faceless" and "mindless".

It's very simple to do if the company truly cares about how their customers view them. All one has to do is think about how they would feel if the situation were reversed. If you, as a customer, would be upset or offended by a business's action, then that business shouldn't take that action.

As to the constantly evolving situation, far better to err on the side of caution. Much better to underpromise and overdeliver than the opposite.
Message 47 of 72

If it were my business I would instruct the COMPUTER to NOT send such emails to customers in the following Texas area codes: 956, 361, 979, 281, 713, 409, & 936. That was tough, wasn't it?

Businesses that admit mistakes, apologize, and correct themselves get forgiven for a lot of sins. Those which have the "only game in town" mindset do not. Remember, AT&T is no longer the only game in town.
Message 48 of 72
ACE - Master

"
"If it were my business I would instruct the COMPUTER to NOT send such emails to customers in the following Texas area codes: 956, 361, 979, 281, 713, 409, & 936. That was tough, wasn't it?"

1. I don't think every customer in every one of those area codes qualifies for the waiver.

2. The waiver is based on billing zip code, not area code. A customer with a 713 area code who moved to Seattle doesn't qualify; a customer with a 212 area code who lives in Beaumont does.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 49 of 72

As I posted earlier, far better to err on the side of caution. Fine-tuning can be done later. Once again, under-promise & over-deliver is the way to build AND KEEP your customer base.
Message 50 of 72
ACE - Expert

@glassmanwharton wrote:
As I posted earlier, far better to err on the side of caution. 

Wouldn't that be sending out to everyone?

So that you don't miss anyone?

If it were my business I would instruct the COMPUTER to NOT send such emails to customers in the following Texas area codes: 956, 361, 979, 281, 713, 409, & 936. That was tough, wasn't it?

The credit is based on your billing ZIP code, not based on area codes. With number portability people have those numbers living all over the united states. They wouldn't get a necessary alert. Plus, people have relocated to those areas and don't have those area codes.

Those which have the "only game in town" mindset do not. Remember, AT&T is no longer the only game in town.

You're going to leave AT&T because they texting you to say your plan is running out of minutes? Seriously?

Those which have the "I'm the only customer in town" mindset tend make not much sense.*

If you, as a customer, would be upset or offended by a business's action, then that business shouldn't take that action.

They are crediting customers who get overages in the (defined) affected areas. This should not be upsetting.

You do realize this is the community forum correct? 

* Yes, that was supposed to sound discombobulated!

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 51 of 72

You posted "

Wouldn't that be sending out to everyone?

So that you don't miss anyone?"

In the affected areas, yes. As your billing is reportedly by zip code, you obviously have the information to narrow it down that way instead of by area code. Then, as time permits, winnow it down from there.

You also posted "The credit is based on your billing ZIP code, not based on area codes. With number portability people have those numbers living all over the united states. They wouldn't get a necessary alert. Plus, people have relocated to those areas and don't have those area codes."

Again, as you have the information coded by zip codes and already have that information, do it that way, as stated above.

You further posted "You're going to leave AT&T because they texting you to say your plan is running out of minutes? Seriously?"

The tone of the message was indicative of a faceless bureaucracy that neither respects nor values its customers.

You posted further "Those which have the "I'm the only customer in town" mindset tend make not much sense.* * Yes, that was supposed to sound discombobulated!"

The perfect answer of one who does not possess a customer service mentality.

You also posted "They are crediting customers who get overages in the (defined) affected areas. This should not be upsetting."

THAT part isn't- the tone of the message I received is what i found to be offensive. You are avoiding the issue.

Finally you posted "You do realize this is the community forum correct?"

And just what does that have to do with anything?
Message 52 of 72
ACE - Expert

@glassmanwharton wrote:
Finally you posted "You do realize this is the community forum correct?"

And just what does that have to do with anything?

You're talking to other customers in the community.  It appears you think you are talking to AT&T.

Message 53 of 72

You posted "You're talking to other customers in the community. It appears you think you are talking to AT&T."

According to the website this forum is owned by AT&T & moderated by AT&T employees.
Message 54 of 72
ACE - Expert

@glassmanwharton wrote:
You posted "You're talking to other customers in the community. It appears you think you are talking to AT&T."
According to the website this forum is owned by AT&T & moderated by AT&T employees.

Obviously they own it, it's the AT&T forums.

They also MODERATE it, that doesn't make it mean they participate in all conversations. 

A City park is owned by the city, it's moderated by the city (patrolled by the police) and cleaned up by the city but all the people hanging out there are not necessarily city employees.

And as such, the people you are talking to are NOT employees (employees are pretty clearly marked). 

So when you act like we're giving you some corporate double-talk, it's really just other customers giving you an opinion (someone you're chatting with at the park).

I understand that you don't necessarily agree with the opinion, but that's a different issue. 

Message 55 of 72
Contributor

Hey my name is Maurice  an I need help on my bill plz I went help with the flood an I lost all my money can u plz plz help me wit my bill this mouth plz God Bless y'all

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 56 of 72
ACE - Expert

@Anonymous wrote:
Not exactly helpful when you have unlimited data plan.

But you aren't going to go over. You still get to use as much as you want with no overages. Aren't you glad you do not have to worry about this? Instead you're complaining about not having overages?

A break on the bill would actually be productive.

They probably aren't going to do that any more than the people who don't go over their fixed limit plan are going to get a credit.  Sorry.

Message 57 of 72
ACE - Sage

I didn't lose my home, but we lost power and other services during 2 hurricanes 2 years in a row, in October 2011 (9 days) and in 2012 (5 days). Somehow we didn't complain, didn't watch TV and didn't go over our data allowance.  Mostly as we were too busy helping others, trying to stay warm, feed ourselves and see in the dark, clean up the mess and check on folks who did suffer home damage.  

Never occured to me I should be on the internet complaining about my lack of services.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 58 of 72

Not watching TV or any of that other crap, as you've assumed. Internet & cell are the only comms we have.

Message 59 of 72
ACE - Sage

yeah,  totally missing the point....  in the midst of Harvey's mess, I would think you had other things to deal with.  Apparently not.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 60 of 72
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support