For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
KYAL1980's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, January 21st, 2018 12:16 AM

AT&T received my trade in device but says they didn’t

In Oct 17, we upgraded one of our ATT lines to the new iPhone X. We chose to do the "Next" program where we pay for that phone each month over 30 months on the bill. After completing the purchase we were told we would have to trade in our current iphone and that a shipping label would be created and to use that to return our old device. We got the label, went to the post office, bought a box and shipping supplies and mailed the phone back to ATT on 11/10/2017. We received a track your package email from AT&T showing the phone was delivered on 11/15/2017 at 6PM. Then, a few weeks later, we receive a text saying the phone was not returned and we needed to return it to avoid being charged $999. I called customer service and was told that their processing center was running behind due to the holidays and that they'd advise me not to worry about it, that it should be processed soon. Again, another text came saying the phone wasn't received and we would be charged a $999 fee. I called the ATT customer service and was told they couldn't help me. I would have to go into a store. I went to the local store and was told to go to the corporate store. I go there and the reps called ATT to get the issue resolved. The corp rep was told that there was no reason for that charge and they'd refer it for review to their "Back office" and that I would receive a call from them within 5 business days. I waited for 2 weeks and never got a call. I then get my ATT bill and there was a $999 charge for non return of the trade-in device. I called the corp store and they called again and was told it would be referred to the "back office" for review. The "back office" denied it saying they would not remove the charges because they didn't have the phone, even though I sent them copies of the email tracking from ATT showing the phone was delivered. Now, it has been over 2 months and the GM now has the item on his desk and has yet to respond. I owed $140 on the trade in phone, not $999. The phone wasn’t $999 when we purchased it new. I did my part. I returned the device. But now can not get anyone to fix this issue!!! I have the tracking form that shows the phone was delivered to Fort Worth Texas on November 15th at 6:00pm. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

1.   First, how do you owe $999 on a trade in?  That isn’t possible unless ATT sold $2,000 phones, which it does not.  The charge for a non return trade in, is only what you owed on the phone, which is 20-50% of its original retail cost.  

2.   Submit your proof and the bill for the returned phone to the BBB. Include copies of the September bill with your remaining Next balance on it.  (Some thing VERY wrong)
3.   then file copies in a dispute letter here.
IF YOU DISPUTE ANY CHARGES ON YOUR BILL, YOU MUST NOTIFY US IN WRITING AT AT&T BILL DISPUTE, 1025 LENOX PARK, ATLANTA, GA 30319 WITHIN 100 DAYS OF THE DATE OF THE BILL OR YOU'LL HAVE WAIVED YOUR RIGHT TO DISPUTE THE BILL AND TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY LEGAL ACTION RAISING SUCH DISPUTE.
4.   And send copies here @ATTHelp (that is PM not twitter)

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I have filed a claim with the BBB. But I’ll send a letter in writing as well with proof. I just need this taken care of. 2 months with no answers or resolutions other than “those charges are ridiculous and it’s obvious it’s not right” but then “our back office will not approve removal of the fees because they don’t have the phone” it’s been beyond frustrating. If they don’t have my phone then where is it? Because the last time we saw it was when we shipped it and then got notification it was delivered. Thanks for the advice. I’ll definitely do that as well. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

Make sure you file the dispute letter by mail.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you. I have got everything together and will put the letter and all the documentation in the mail Monday morning. Glad y’all told me because I didn’t know about that. 

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

6 years ago

This is happening every day with returns to AT&T and has been for years if you look back through this forum. It has been my experience, sending a PM to ATTCares is a complete waste of time, as is calling AT&T.  I will be sending them a letter of dispute also. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Back in January 2018 I ordered an iPhone 8 in the store in Douglasville, GA. The next day decided it was too small, so I called AT&T and asked could I return it and replace it with the 8 Plus. The rep I talked to instructed me to return the 8 in the box and using the return label that would be included in the 8 Plus she was sending. I did. I returned it to uSPS and have the receipt with tracking showing AT&T’s shipping agent picked up the device thus ending any accountability for me and the local PO. They’ve continued to Bill me $20/month for the access fee + 8.99 for insurance. I’ve been given the run around and lied to so much it’s ridiculous. One guy even guaranteed me when the credit for a all 7/8 months would appear on my account. Lies and there was no one by the name he gave when I called to follow up. They keep saying they haven’t received the device but again, that’s not my problem as the Post Office and I did our parts. Additionally it turns out that the rep who took the order via phone, signed me up for a bogo which I never asked for, was told about or agreed to. So basically a commission play. Anything I can do? I’ve talked to customer loyalty and retention but to no avail. I hate to move 4 lines to T-Mobile but more importantly I’d like to have my money back. I hate to go legal over $250ish dollars but I will. Advice? 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Mscooley

My responses are in bold....

There is a ton of missing information...

@Mscooley wrote:

Back in January 2018 I ordered an iPhone 8 in the store in Douglasville, GA. The next day decided it was too small, so I called AT&T and asked could I return it and replace it with the 8 Plus. The rep I talked to instructed me to return the 8 in the box and using the return label that would be included in the 8 Plus she was sending.

Did you get the 8 plus?

And was the phone for the same phone number?

Do you have more than one phone number?   

I did. I returned it to uSPS and have the receipt with tracking showing AT&T’s shipping agent picked up the device thus ending any accountability for me and the local PO. They’ve continued to Bill me $20/month for the access fee + 8.99 for insurance.

For 2 phones and 2 numbers?   Or for the 8 plus you got as a replacement?

I’ve been given the run around and lied to so much it’s ridiculous. One guy even guaranteed me when the credit for a all 7/8 months would appear on my account. Lies and there was no one by the name he gave when I called to follow up. They keep saying they haven’t received the device but again, that’s not my problem as the Post Office and I did our parts. Additionally it turns out that the rep who took the order via phone, signed me up for a bogo which I never asked for, was told about or agreed to. So basically a commission play. Anything I can do? I’ve talked to customer loyalty and retention but to no avail. I hate to move 4 lines to T-Mobile but more importantly I’d like to have my money back. I hate to go legal over $250ish dollars but I will. Advice? 

If they added a line for both phones, cancel the other line.  You’re only paying for one phone right?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 See below -

Did you get the 8 plus? Yes. It was the Plus's shipping box (and label) in which I returned the 8... as instructed to by the AT&T CS rep who sent out the Plus

And was the phone for the same phone number? Different numbers. The AT&T CS rep mentioned above said she would mark the order for the 8 as returned since it was well within the 14 day window. She said it would eventually drop off my account. This is what I meant by BOGO - a rep a couple of weeks ago blatantly said, she did it so she could get a 2-count on orders ... commission.

Do you have more than one phone number?   Yes. I have 4 lines on my account. 3 smartphones + 1 AppleWatch. Don't get me started on the rep telling me I needed to insert a SIM card into the Watch when it would not activate on the network... smh. Another rep did something and now a stray tablet is showing up on my account too. Haven't even gotten that far.

Customer for over 7 years.. this is ridiculous. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Mscooley

Did you save the tracking?  If yes, track it on the Newgistics website.  Items go from USPS to Newgistics.  If Newgistics got it, and returned to ATT, you would have proof to file a BBB complaint. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

@LizSance40

For 2 phones and 2 numbers?   Or for the 8 plus you got as a replacement?

The 8 Plus is good. No issues there. So the continued billing is for the 8. From the beginning I was told the credit on my account was a courtesy for Next installments for the 8, but until the issue was resolved I’d continue being billed for the access fee. Now I’m finding out that the real reason why they credited me monthly was because of the unauthorized BOGO which is how that works. They credit you monthly for the device and you pay the access fee. I was finally able to get the line cancelled and that rep said I wouldn’t have to worry about being billed for the total cost of the device. Again - Lies. I forgot that part.  I’m also trying my best not to wake up one morning with a $1000 charge. Btw - every single time I’ve asked them to playback calls for verification. Either something was wrong or unavailable. I’ve also had approximately 5 different case numbers and an assigned to a social media rep who won’t even respond to my messages now. The kicker? ... when I was told repeatedly “You shipped us something but we don’t know what because we can’t find it; It could be anything.” 🤨. ⬅️ Not my problem... I’ve been a customer since 2012 and generally satisfied but they’re now showing a side of the company I used to argue against in their defense. Sigh. Loyalty right? What’s that? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.