Helpful Links

AT&T charging me for service I haven't used

AT&T charging me for service I haven't used

So I've switched providers and cancelled my service with AT&T, and have paid off my phone. I was able to transfer over my number, but my husband wasn't able to transfer his. So we cancelled our service with AT&T, but everyone we speak to has told us they have NO RECORD of us calling in to cancel. Which makes no sense, if they have all our call in records then they should have record of cancellation. They have charged us for another month of service that we haven't used at all, because we have NO access to it anymore. The reps we have spoken with say that they see we haven't used ANYTHING on our account, and yet they can't refund us for the month we didn't use because they don't "believe" we cancelled. Why should I have to pay for something that I cancelled? Why is it MY fault that AT&T screwed up and didn't cancel our service? This is literally theft. This isn't the first time AT&T has been dishonest with me or my husband. It's not the second or the third either! AT&T has always screwed us over and I'm fed up with it. It almost seems like AT&T isn't happy that we're leaving because when we were trying to cancel, they weren't very nice to us over the phone. I find many of the AT&T reps are sarcastic and rude. I just want this ridiculous and expensive phone bill for service we DID NOT HAVE ACCESS TO removed so I can unlock my phone and use the service I'm actually paying for. I can't unlock my phone until the AT&T bill is paid so I can't even use our other service provider. This is so frustrating and unfair. Has anyone else been through this? Anything I can do/anyone I can talk to that can help?

****** EDIT- To anyone who actually wants to help me, here is a rundown:

1. Husband's number could not transfer over
  2. I paid my final AT&T bill the date that I switched providers, before finalizing the switch
  3. My husband's phone unlocked just fine after paying the bill and could switch to our new provider and did.
  4. We called AT&T and CONFIRMED that the account had been cancelled, made sure we WOULD NOT receive anymore bills.
  5. The woman on the phone told us "If we have record that you called on the date you canceled we can remove the charges"
  6. She even stated "Yes I see you have not even touched you service"
  7. No matter what, they would not remove the bill, because they could not find any records of us calling in to cancel.
Message 1 of 14
ACE - Expert

Re: AT&T charging me for service I haven't used

Transferring your numbers to a new carrier automatically cancels phone service.  There is no need to contact ATT about it.  

If you did not transfer your husbands number, the account stays active.  Even when you do transfer out, you would have a final bill as it is postpaid services.  Check the dates on the bill.

Also, no carrier prorates final bills, which are mailed so you can pay them.  Until it's paid, the phones can't be unlocked.

For a smooth transition, We advise people pay off phones first, then unlock, then port numbers out.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 14
ACE - Master

Chrysannthemum wrote:
So I've switched providers and cancelled my service with AT&T, and have paid off my phone. I was able to transfer over my number, but my husband wasn't able to transfer his. So we cancelled our service with AT&T, but everyone we speak to has told us they have NO RECORD of us calling in to cancel. Which makes no sense, if they have all our call in records then they should have record of cancellation. They have charged us for another month of service that we haven't used at all, because we have NO access to it anymore. The reps we have spoken with say that they see we haven't used ANYTHING on our account, and yet they can't refund us for the month we didn't use because they don't "believe" we cancelled. Why should I have to pay for something that I cancelled? Why is it MY fault that AT&T screwed up and didn't cancel our service? This is literally theft. This isn't the first time AT&T has been dishonest with me or my husband. It's not the second or the third either! AT&T has always screwed us over and I'm fed up with it. It almost seems like AT&T isn't happy that we're leaving because when we were trying to cancel, they weren't very nice to us over the phone. I find many of the AT&T reps are sarcastic and rude. I just want this ridiculous and expensive phone bill for service we DID NOT HAVE ACCESS TO removed so I can unlock my phone and use the service I'm actually paying for. I can't unlock my phone until the AT&T bill is paid so I can't even use our other service provider. This is so frustrating and unfair. Has anyone else been through this? Anything I can do/anyone I can talk to that can help?

If your husband can't use the new service provider, what is he doing for phone service? Has he just not used a phone at all since you though you canceled?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 14
ACE - Expert

@Chrysannthemum wrote:
So we cancelled our service with AT&T, but everyone we speak to has told us they have NO RECORD of us calling in to cancel. Which makes no sense, if they have all our call in records then they should have record of cancellation.

I'm not sure why this doesn't make any sense. Just because my call records show my mother called me yesterday, it doesn't prove she reminded me about the family reunion, the records just prove there is a call.

This isn't the first time AT&T has been dishonest with me or my husband. It's not the second or the third either! AT&T has always screwed us over and I'm fed up with it.

So AT&T has been dishonest up at least 3 times to you before, so many times you are will will to say "always screwed us over" and you didn't check to make sure it was canceled.

Why is it MY fault that AT&T screwed up and didn't cancel our service? This is literally theft.

Given your detailed problematic history with them, it's literally your fault for not double-checking. I'm joking about the literally.

You are making the case that AT&T doesn't do anything right for you and that you should be double-checking these things. 

Personally, I don't leave the store or hang up without verifying everything on-line. Why? It's just easier to double-check while I still have that person on the phone, I'm never going to talk to them again and who knows what they put in the notes or records.

I just want this ridiculous and expensive phone bill for service we DID NOT HAVE ACCESS TO removed so I can unlock my phone and use the service I'm actually paying for.

Your husband's phone should have continued to work if the service was never canceled.

He doesn't want to keep his number? Canceling would just make that go away.

• This is the public AT&T community forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When solved / helped, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 4 of 14

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I paid my last bill the day that I began service with AT&T. My husband's number did not transfer, so we called and canceled it. AT&T says they do not have record of us cancelling our service even though we confirmed it over the phone. The day we cancelled service, we paid our final bill in the store of the provider we switched to. They charged us another bill for the month AFTER we cancelled service and paid the final bill. My husband was able to unlock his phone just fine without cancelling his service. He is happily using our other provider. I however am not able to unlock mine, even after paying the final bill and paying off ALL of my phone, because of this random bill we shouldn't be charged for.
    Message 5 of 14

No, he is using our new provider. He was able to unlock his phone and start his new service with no problem. This is what really confuses me. I'm being charged for his AT&T service after the cancellation even though he has the new provider's SIM card in his phone and is using that rather than AT&T. I on the other hand cannot use the new service on my phone because AT&T won't unlock it, even after paying everything off. It's been three weeks trying to figure this out with AT&T and my phone has been a useless brick when I'm not on wifi.
    Message 6 of 14
    ACE - Expert

I will remind you again to look at the dates on your bill.  If your bill dates run the 10th to the 9th of each month, and you port out on any day other than the 9th of the month YOU WILL HAVE one more bill.  Bills are sent AFTER service is rendered and final bill is never prorated by any carrier.  Cell services are month to month

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
    Message 7 of 14
    ACE - Master

Chrysannthemum wrote:
    I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I paid my last bill the day that I began service with AT&T. My husband's number did not transfer, so we called and canceled it. AT&T says they do not have record of us cancelling our service even though we confirmed it over the phone. The day we cancelled service, we paid our final bill in the store of the provider we switched to. They charged us another bill for the month AFTER we cancelled service and paid the final bill. My husband was able to unlock his phone just fine without cancelling his service. He is happily using our other provider. I however am not able to unlock mine, even after paying the final bill and paying off ALL of my phone, because of this random bill we shouldn't be charged for.

I'm so confused. The day you began service with AT&T? I thought you left. You paid in the store of the provider you switched to? How the heck does that work?

Regardless, you will always get a final bill after you cancel service. No matter what may or may not have happened the final bill doesn't even come out until the next billing date. 

Message 8 of 14

I see you quoted me a few times, but clearly you didn't read what I said. My husband couldn't transfer his number, he desperately wanted to but something was not letting him transfer it and we couldn't figure out why. <br><br>I called the day we switched providers and CONFIRMED the service was cancelled through AT&amp;T, they said yes, the service is cancelled, we shouldn't get anymore bills. Then I see a bill on my app for my husband's service, the one I called to confirm was cancelled, the one they said I would not get any more bills for. So I called in and asked for it to be removed because I called to cancel my service and AT&amp;T did not cancel it. That is when they said they have no record of us calling on the date we said we called to cancel our service. They said they would gladly remove the charges IF they could find record of us calling on that date. This is why I am saying the situation is not my fault. I did EVERYTHING on my end, AT&amp;T did not do their part. <br><br>This is also a point I tried to prove to AT&amp;T, "just because my mother called me yesterday doesn't mean she told me about a family reunion." The woman on the phone at AT&amp;T told me, "we can remove the charges if we have record of you calling in that day and canceling service." Their words, not mine.
    Message 9 of 14

I used my phone. I used the AT&T app in the store of the other provider to pay my bill. There is an AT&T app that you can use to pay off your bill.
    Message 10 of 14

Right. I understand this, but it played out perfectly because my bill had literally just been issued that day and was due for that month. I paid my last bill, the day that it was issued, and also the day I cancelled service with AT&T.

Message 11 of 14
    ACE - Expert

But not pay off the final bill... That's where the problem is coming in. Like Liz said check your billing dates.
    Message 12 of 14
    ACE - Expert

@Chrysannthemum   

The bill is issued about 4 days after a new bill cycle begins.  That bill is for services already rendered - last months bill.    

If as you say your bill was issued and you paid ont he same day, two things are true on that day.

1.   The account was still active.

2.   You were 4 days into a new bill cycle, for which you have now been billed.

Message 13 of 14
    ACE - Expert

@Chrysannthemum wrote:

The day we cancelled service, we paid our final bill in the store of the provider we switched to. 

That would not have been your final bill yet. 

My husband was able to unlock his phone just fine without cancelling his service. He is happily using our other provider. I however am not able to unlock mine, even after paying the final bill and paying off ALL of my phone, because of this random bill we shouldn't be charged for.

It's not random bill, it is the final bill.

To anyone who actually wants to help me, here is a rundown:

2. I paid my final AT&T bill the date that I switched providers, before finalizing the switch

The day you quit you have another bill coming, you would be in part of a billing period and the final bill is not generated yet. I can't think of any way you could pay a bill that has not been generated yet.

You are saying you paid the final bill and you hadn't even left yet (maybe minutes before, but not yet). It doesn't work that way.

I am intentionally ignoring all issues on unlocking, because it doesn't appear to be relevant for this particular billing issue.

I used my phone. I used the AT&T app in the store of the other provider to pay my bill. There is an AT&T app that you can use to pay off your bill.

Not the bill that has not been generated yet.

If you search the forums, you can see MANY others who are having issues because they can't even log in after canceling (because they aren't customers any more) because they are waiting for their final bill.

Right. I understand this, but it played out perfectly because my bill had literally just been issued that day and was due for that month. I paid my last bill, the day that it was issued, and also the day I cancelled service with AT&T.

That was last months bill.  

• This is the public AT&T community forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When solved / helped, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 14 of 14
    Share this topic
    Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support