For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Chrysannthemum's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, July 19th, 2017 8:23 AM

AT&T charging me for service I haven't used

So I've switched providers and cancelled my service with AT&T, and have paid off my phone. I was able to transfer over my number, but my husband wasn't able to transfer his. So we cancelled our service with AT&T, but everyone we speak to has told us they have NO RECORD of us calling in to cancel. Which makes no sense, if they have all our call in records then they should have record of cancellation. They have charged us for another month of service that we haven't used at all, because we have NO access to it anymore. The reps we have spoken with say that they see we haven't used ANYTHING on our account, and yet they can't refund us for the month we didn't use because they don't "believe" we cancelled. Why should I have to pay for something that I cancelled? Why is it MY fault that AT&T screwed up and didn't cancel our service? This is literally theft. This isn't the first time AT&T has been dishonest with me or my husband. It's not the second or the third either! AT&T has always screwed us over and I'm fed up with it. It almost seems like AT&T isn't happy that we're leaving because when we were trying to cancel, they weren't very nice to us over the phone. I find many of the AT&T reps are sarcastic and rude. I just want this ridiculous and expensive phone bill for service we DID NOT HAVE ACCESS TO removed so I can unlock my phone and use the service I'm actually paying for. I can't unlock my phone until the AT&T bill is paid so I can't even use our other service provider. This is so frustrating and unfair. Has anyone else been through this? Anything I can do/anyone I can talk to that can help?

****** EDIT- To anyone who actually wants to help me, here is a rundown:

1. Husband's number could not transfer over
  2. I paid my final AT&T bill the date that I switched providers, before finalizing the switch
  3. My husband's phone unlocked just fine after paying the bill and could switch to our new provider and did.
  4. We called AT&T and CONFIRMED that the account had been cancelled, made sure we WOULD NOT receive anymore bills.
  5. The woman on the phone told us "If we have record that you called on the date you canceled we can remove the charges"
  6. She even stated "Yes I see you have not even touched you service"
  7. No matter what, they would not remove the bill, because they could not find any records of us calling in to cancel.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

But not pay off the final bill... That's where the problem is coming in. Like Liz said check your billing dates.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

@Chrysannthemum   

The bill is issued about 4 days after a new bill cycle begins.  That bill is for services already rendered - last months bill.    

If as you say your bill was issued and you paid ont he same day, two things are true on that day.

1.   The account was still active.

2.   You were 4 days into a new bill cycle, for which you have now been billed.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Chrysannthemum wrote:

The day we cancelled service, we paid our final bill in the store of the provider we switched to. 

That would not have been your final bill yet. 

My husband was able to unlock his phone just fine without cancelling his service. He is happily using our other provider. I however am not able to unlock mine, even after paying the final bill and paying off ALL of my phone, because of this random bill we shouldn't be charged for.

It's not random bill, it is the final bill.

To anyone who actually wants to help me, here is a rundown:

2. I paid my final AT&T bill the date that I switched providers, before finalizing the switch

The day you quit you have another bill coming, you would be in part of a billing period and the final bill is not generated yet. I can't think of any way you could pay a bill that has not been generated yet.

You are saying you paid the final bill and you hadn't even left yet (maybe minutes before, but not yet). It doesn't work that way.

I am intentionally ignoring all issues on unlocking, because it doesn't appear to be relevant for this particular billing issue.

I used my phone. I used the AT&T app in the store of the other provider to pay my bill. There is an AT&T app that you can use to pay off your bill.

Not the bill that has not been generated yet.

If you search the forums, you can see MANY others who are having issues because they can't even log in after canceling (because they aren't customers any more) because they are waiting for their final bill.

Right. I understand this, but it played out perfectly because my bill had literally just been issued that day and was due for that month. I paid my last bill, the day that it was issued, and also the day I cancelled service with AT&T.

That was last months bill.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.