For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
gnarkill283's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, September 11th, 2017 8:56 PM

AT&T charged me $128 for 65min of wifi calling while abroad...

So I came back from a vacation in Croatia and discovered I was charged $128 for 65min worth of wifi calling. I used wifi calling for the first time abroad thinking I could finally make free calls as long as I was hooked up to someone else's internet. Well it turns out not to be the case. I noticed some other wifi calls I made didn't get charged. So is wifi calling free or not? And if not, when will I be charged for wifi calling? Can't seem to find a definite answer on this anywhere.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Esamphowe Being connected to WiFi does not mean you are also on WiFi calling. Unless you see “AT&T WiFi” on the phone’s display, you are not on WiFi calling. If you see any other carrier, then you are roaming. Your daughter was probably roaming, that is why she was charged.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Esamphowe

The only way to be sure the phone uses wifi calling, not cellular, is to disable cellular.   

Put phone in airplane mode, then Wifi back on.  Wifi calling should display as AT&T or ATT Wifi 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Why would the chat reps tell me WiFi calling is free, yet not explain what you just did? Seems very unfair that they made that blanket statement yet did not back it up with the info on HOW to do it.That seems like a pretty important tidbit to omit, and extremely misleading. And why would some of the calls go through on WiFi, yet others not? She always called from the same location in the same house. She did not change any settings on her phone between calls, either. And how did you find this out? Thanks for your input. 

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Esamphowe 
We are ACEs "Customer" here.
Some of us had been using AT&T for ages.
Some of us are retired from work with AT&T.
I had been using cell phone service all over the world.
Most of the time, our input are better solution.
That's why we are here to help! 

Why would some of the calls go through on WiFi, yet others not?
It can be a system update,
An apps update/download and changed some setting on the phone ,you don't even notice.
Do what @lizdance40 suggest if you're not sure.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Help me out please! I’m traveling on a cruise that left from India. Prior to leaving the States I turned on WiFi calling, turned off cellular data. I double, triple checked this since I’ve been burned before. Made several calls, all to the States. My husband (he’s back in the States) got a warning that I had incurred more than $250 for “international roaming call charges.” My husband called and was told that I didn’t have the “cruise ship package” so calls/texts were being charged at the international rate. ATT, what’s going on here?

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

6 years ago

@juliemrn Even if you use Wi-Fi Calling, you're still using the cruise ship's cellular network. Per att.com: "While outside the U.S., your phone will use the Wi-Fi network when both a Wi-Fi and cellular network are available." That means the cellular cruise ship plans (including pay-per-use if you don't have a plan) would still apply.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.