Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T charged me $128 for 65min of wifi calling while abroad...

AT&T charged me $128 for 65min of wifi calling while abroad...

So I came back from a vacation in Croatia and discovered I was charged $128 for 65min worth of wifi calling. I used wifi calling for the first time abroad thinking I could finally make free calls as long as I was hooked up to someone else's internet. Well it turns out not to be the case. I noticed some other wifi calls I made didn't get charged. So is wifi calling free or not? And if not, when will I be charged for wifi calling? Can't seem to find a definite answer on this anywhere.

Message 1 of 27
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎09-06-2018 1:26 PM

Re: AT&T charged me $128 for 65min of wifi calling while abroad...

It is free depending on who you call. Calls to other US numbers are definitely free but if you called any local Croatian numbers, you were charged international long distance. There is also the possibility you were not on wifi calling. Just being connected to wifi is not enough. You must also see "AT&T Wifi" on your phone's display, indicating that you are connected to ATT's cellular network. If you don't see that, any calls would be through a local carrier and subject to international roaming rates. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 27

Under my bill it says WIFI under rate code. Calls to the US appear to be free. Calls anywhere else (Germany, UK, Croatia, Hungary) were charged. It just doesn't make sense to me how I'm charged for making a wifi call through someone else's paid for internet. I had to make those calls because british airlines canceled my return flight with less than 24 hour notice and they didn't even provide a working phone number to reach them from Croatia let alone a toll free one...

Message 3 of 27

Welp not only is wifi calling not free if you call certain countries from certain countries like croatia to uk, france, germany, but also while I was just in france, wifi calling wouldn't work mysteriously for the whole week I was there. ATT is quite the scam...

Message 4 of 27
ACE - Sage

@gnarkill283  

Did you have Wifi calling enabled on your device before leaving the USA?  

You must have a Wifi calling capable device with Wifi calling enabled on your account and phone.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 27

Huh? Why would I need to have wifi calling on before leaving the US? I didn't 6 months ago when I was in Croatia and wifi calling worked fine. By all means though dig deeper to find somehow to blame me for this suspicious behavior.

Message 6 of 27
ACE - Master

@gnarkill283 wrote:

Huh? Why would I need to have wifi calling on before leaving the US? I didn't 6 months ago when I was in Croatia and wifi calling worked fine. By all means though dig deeper to find somehow to blame me for this suspicious behavior.

As noted above, WiFi calling to US numbers is free. WiFi calling international numbers is not. 

Message 7 of 27
ACE - Sage

@gnarkill283 wrote:

Wifi calling is a carrier enabled feature.  If it is not on while you are connected to ATT it will not be able to work when in another country.  If, since your last trip, you got a new phone, or turned the feature off, or changed to a prepaid plan, it would not be available to you.  Doesn’t make it a scam.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 8 of 27

Then explain to me how it worked in Croatia? And whats the point of it if everyone is on data plans with free calling? Do I need to screenshot my bill showing the wifi calling from Croatia?

Message 9 of 27
ACE - Sage

@gnarkill283

...... Makes me think you didnt read read my last post.  

Message 10 of 27
ACE - Expert

@gnarkill283 wrote:

Then explain to me how it worked in Croatia? And whats the point of it if everyone is on data plans with free calling? Do I need to screenshot my bill showing the wifi calling from Croatia?

When you are on WiFi calling, you are connected to ATT’s network back here in a the US through WiFi instead of through a cell tower. Bottom line is all calls are the same as if your phone was back in the US, hence a call to Croatia or any of their non US number is international long distance.

Message 11 of 27

Stop trolling me please. I have the same phone. I went to Croatia 6 months ago and turned on airplane mode then turned on wifi and wifi calling while I was there (NOT BEFORE IN THE US). I was able to call and text the US and toll free numbers for free while I was charged for calling anywhere in europe (even airline company phone numbers when my airline canceled my flight on me the day before I was supposed to leave):

qwer.JPGqwert.JPG

If you have to be on the ATT network to do wifi calling then why would anyone use wifi calling... The whole point is to use it when there's no service.

Message 12 of 27
ACE - Sage

@gnarkill283  Please re read the previous posts.  Everything is exactly as @sandblaster said.  You were charged for calls to European numbers, not US numbers. 

If wifi calling was subsequently turned off after that trip, and you left the US without it enabled, of course it didn’t work.  

Message 13 of 27
Highlighted

Sandblaster is incorrect. I DIDNT HAVE TO BE ON ATT TO USE WIFI CALLING IN CROTIA. WHAT DONT YOU UNDERSTAND??? And what does this even mean: "If wifi calling was subsequently turned off after that trip, and you left the US without it enabled, of course it didn’t work" ????? 

Message 14 of 27
ACE - Master

@gnarkill283 wrote:

Stop trolling me please. I have the same phone. I went to Croatia 6 months ago and turned on airplane mode then turned on wifi and wifi calling while I was there (NOT BEFORE IN THE US). I was able to call and text the US and toll free numbers for free while I was charged for calling anywhere in europe (even airline company phone numbers when my airline canceled my flight on me the day before I was supposed to leave):

qwer.JPGqwert.JPG

If you have to be on the ATT network to do wifi calling then why would anyone use wifi calling... The whole point is to use it when there's no service.

You don't "have to be on the ATT network."

When you use WiFi calling you are USING the AT&T network. Hence, the same pricing applies no matter where you are located.

If you are in Chicago calling Croatia, you are billed for an international call. If you are in Zagreb calling elsewhere in Croatia, you are billed for an international call. 

If you are in Chicago calling Chicago, you are not billed. If you are in Zagreb calling Chicago, you are not billed. 

Message 15 of 27
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support