Need help understanding your bill?
colion's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Monday, July 24th, 2017 8:34 PM

AT&T Store Needs Training

After reading about the Military Signature Program on the AT&T website I asked Chat if I were eligible.  The answer was yes but I needed to go to the Asheville AT&T store (not retailer) so that they could verify various things.  

So off I went which in my case involves a one-way 40-mile drive on mountain roads.  Got to the store and waited 45 minutes for an agent.  I explained what I had been told by Chat and then the agent studied his screen and said that I could not get the Military Signature Program with my newly installed Home Base and its data/phone plan.  Huh?  I told the agent that he must be looking at something different than the Chat person but he dismissed that and said that he was right.  What could I do except go back up the mountain.

The difference between the two conversations (Chat and AT&T store) bothered me so the next day I called Customer Service. The agent quickly confirmed that I was eligible for the Military Signature Program and that the store was incorrect.   So by a 2 to 1 margin AT&T says that I am eligible for the Military Signature Program but I'm stuck with poorly trained, incompetent AT&T store personnel.  

I suppose I can keep running down the mountain to the store over and over until I find a person who can handle my simple matter.  This is not right!  AT&T should do the leg work and straighten the store out so that I do not have to keep running back and forth.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

7 years ago

@colion wrote:

After reading about the Military Signature Program on the AT&T website I asked Chat if I were eligible.  The answer was yes but I needed to go to the Asheville AT&T store (not retailer) so that they could verify various things.  

So off I went which in my case involves a one-way 40-mile drive on mountain roads.  Got to the store and waited 45 minutes for an agent.  I explained what I had been told by Chat and then the agent studied his screen and said that I could not get the Military Signature Program with my newly installed Home Base.  Huh?  I told the agent that he must be looking at something different than the Chat person but he dismissed that and said that he was right.  What could I do except go back up the mountain.

The difference between the two conversations (Chat and AT&T store) bothered me so the next day I called Customer Service. The agent quickly confirmed that I was eligible for the Military Signature Program and that the store was incorrect.   So by a 2 to 1 margin AT&T says that I am eligible for the Military Signature Program but I'm stuck with poorly trained, incompetent AT&T store personnel.  

I suppose I can keep running down the mountain to the store over and over until I find a person who can handle my simple matter.  This is not right!  AT&T should do the leg work and straighten the store out so that I do not have to keep running back and forth.

Are you a cell phone customer?

If so, you can see if you are eligible here: https://www.att.com/offers/discount-program/military-discount/

If you are active duty, you can use that site to begin enrollment. If you are a spouse, veteran, etc. you must go to an AT&T store with the form(s) of ID listed. 

If you qualify and the store tries to say otherwise, request a supervisor. 

If you are not a cell phone customer, the signature program would not apply, no matter what anyone says. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

7 years ago

We should add that wireless home phone is not considered a cell phone, but a home phone and covered under the home phone forum.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

7 years ago

As noted this pertains to a Home Base (not home phone) which is covered and was confirmed by Chat and Customer Service, indicating that the agent I spoke to in the store is not up to speed.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

7 years ago

@colion wrote:

As noted this pertains to a Home Base (not home phone) which is covered and was confirmed by Chat and Customer Service, indicating that the agent I spoke to in the store is not up to speed.

AT&T Home Base is the wireless home phone @lizdance40 mentioned. I didn't see anything on the eligibility pages indicating that is covered. If I'm missing it, please let me know. Again, it doesn't matter what anyone told you. The AT&T website gives you complete and accurate information, and includes a link to apply (if you're active duty). 

If you're not active duty, you must go to a store. Wouldn't it make sense, then, that the rep at the store (who actually has to deal with it) is more knowledgeable than sales reps who get paid by telling you what you want to hear so you're happy and off the phone/chat so they can talk to someone who might buy something?

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

7 years ago

My Home Base covers wireless phone and wireless internet and is eligible for the military discount.  There is nothing on the discount web pages that says otherwise.

As for the whether or not the AT&T stores know what is going on vis-a-vis Chat/Customer Service just look at the number of posts regarding poor experiences with AT&T stores.  It does not follow from you argument or the recorded experience of others that the stores are more knowledgeable than Chat/Customer Service.  You say "Wouldn't it make sense, then, that the rep at the store (who actually has to deal with it) is more knowledgeable than sales reps who get paid by telling you what you want to hear so you're happy and off the phone/chat so they can talk to someone who might buy something?"  Really?  Did you not know that the store folks are out to sell you something and more aggressively than Chat/Customer Service?  LOL.

In any case, to finish the story I got back online with Chat and explained what happened.  They brought in the manager and because of the misinformation provided by the AT&T store they applied the military discount to my account from their end so that I would not have to run around in circles dealing with uninformed store personnel.  That's the bottom line and end of story.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@colion Can you confirm back for others who read the thread how it works out when you get your next bill?

Do you have a 25/50/250/500GB WHPI plan?  Or did you get an Unlimited plan and put the home base on that?

THANKS!

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

7 years ago

I have seen some webpages talking about 250/500GB and looked into it when I was considering WHPI.  These claims were most likely printing errors or hoaxes as AT&T said that only 25/50GB plans were offered but that higher plans would probably be forthcoming.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.