Need help understanding your bill?
bnuckols1's profile

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

Thursday, June 26th, 2014 4:58 PM

2 of my lines used wifi last 6 months

My personal phone would stay on this wifi all the time and my line would still use 4 to 5 gb. I tested att turning my wireless intenet off ccompletely last month on my line and my husbands via the option inside samsung galaxy s4 active as I noticed we was using alot of usage with out using the phones and I was previously using internet while phone wasnt working overheating ect sim was out of device for a week and during that week my line was using 2.5 gb. My plan has 4 lines and we used 25 to 30 gb a month. After testing att turning the device wireless Internet service off from att and used only wifi for one month my and my husbands phone still used 4.5gb and 5.5 gb. After complaining that this has happened. I still. Have internet via att off and wifi only on this month 15 days in plan I am at 34mb and my husband is at 1gb. We are doing nothing different whats the change. How can att explain this now?!?! Can they???

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

10 years ago

These charges and usage im coming up with are on the paperbill I recieve and on the myatt app not going by actual device. Me and my husband own samsung galaxy s4 active

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, bnuckols1!

Thanks for posting. We would be happy to look into this discrepancy for you, so please click here to send us a private message.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

10 years ago

How come att says we are using the usage when I call asking how is it possible if the data is turned off. We dont have 3g or 4g or anything besides the signal bars and a wifi showing but att bills us showing our line using this usage at random times of the days most of the time my phone is dead and it still uses the internet when it was verified dead and off

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Let's cut to the heart of it, you need to figure out how/why those phones are using that, and then how to prevent it.

AT&T can only help with that in a minimal way. AT&T job's is to provide and meter the service, just the water company. For privacy reasons, there's records of how it gets used, again like the water company.

So, how would do that? You use some tools right from the phone to do that.

There's apps that will help you see how much internet is being use, when, maybe even which apps specifically.

I don't know which phones you use, but one I often reccomend is 'My Data Manager, (free for iOS and Android)

Somtimes the phone has an internal meter that may also help.

-Alex

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

10 years ago

Yeah my phones meter say the usage is wifi only and its. Obviously impossible for a phone to use data off or am I wrong my data usage goes up while device is off for what ever reason

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

No, the phone shouldn't use if it's turned completely off.

Some phones, like the iPhone I used to have would disable wifi while it was sleep, or if there's poor signal.

Turning your wifi on is not enough, you must turn your cellular data off to make sure it doesn't sometimes switch back.

The apps like I talk about show you a graph like this

Wifi in one colour, cell data in another.

WApp

-Alex

1 Attachment

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

10 years ago

Like I stated I keep my cellular data physically turned off the galaxy is not like the iphone it doesnt switch back and forth and even if it did I turn my data off so I have no 4g and att still claims I have usage and charges for usage its stopped impressively since I made my complaint and I on myy side have done nothing different from my previous months

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

10 years ago

Only thing I get from customer service is a lousy apology which is really means nothing because I could care less how sorry att is as long as my money goes. In their pockets. And they offer to up my data every time I up the amount the lines still go over another 7 to 10 gbs which is ridiculous as ill have it at 100 gb at that rate

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

The data usage as shown on the website is unreliable, due to delays in reporting .

Your midnight usage may have really been used at 9pm for eg, and so far.

That's part of the reason I reccomend these apps, so you have a more accurate measure of when the data is being used.

On iphones, I've seen twice, an issue where disabling cell data didn't actually stop the internet. Apple reps were able to test it at their store, turn it off, Clear the data tracking,  and see it still use it. They had to have it replaced.

The type of issue is very rare, but not impossible. If you strongly believe that's you, then you need to go through the basic software troubleshooting, restart the phone, update the software, wipe it.

either way, best of luck

-Alex

Mentor

• 

34 Messages

10 years ago

Again I own a Samsung galaxy s4 active which has got to be one of the worst phones provided by att. although the website might not be accurate the paperbill has showed the lines getting these charges. My phone personally is either stuck on a charger or dead.. and 9 out of 10 times like you stated the increase always happened when the phone was off. I was in a process of receiving a replacement since my galaxy overheated and wouldnt get past the start up samsung galaxy it was defective. .. anyways that week I went without a phone since I had no other phone the sim was out the battery was pulled and the phone was off it took me 9 days to receive a replacement 7 of the 9 days was in the middle of a new bill cycle. I get my replacement and notice I have used 2.5gb how? I ask att they say simple I used it... but I was with out a phone after making this complaint noticed this is the first month doing everything. The same my personal line is at .34 mb what use to be 3.5gb as its the middle of my cycle. How come theirs a sudden difference in the 2 lines when I havent done no routine differently. Which you keep saying although the cellular data is off the phone has it on well why is it working now strangely after I complaint this legit issues
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.