will I automatically be added to a data plan?

Highlighted
Contributor

will I automatically be added to a data plan?

[ Edited ]

@imfster

So I'm still a little confused, hope you can help me out. I currently have the Pantech Ease (a messaging phone) but want a smartphone that runs Android. I plan to purchase one from a website and not through AT&T, such as this here: http://android-sale.com/huawei-honor-4-inch-touch-screen-3g-8mp-camera-android-smartphone-black.html

If I take the SIM card out of my Ease, and pop it into this Honor, will I automatically be added to a data plan? I really don't want to pay the $30 a month for data, and I would only use the internet when I had WiFi, so I don't understand why AT&T is supposedly able to do that, or if they will in my circumstances and situation. Thanks.

-austin.vojta

[Subject edited as new thread was created] - moderator

Message 1 of 5 (1,182 Views)
Employee

Re: will I automatically be added to a data plan?

You'll get a data plan attached automatically if you don't pick one
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5 (1,167 Views)
Employee
Solution
Accepted by jamileh (Former Community Manager)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Yes a data plan will be added as soon as the network identifies the smart phone. You can chose the lower 20 plan if you'd like but if you use a smart phone, you have to have a data plan.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 5 (1,157 Views)
Contributor

Do you know about other companies? Do Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint have the same policies?

Message 4 of 5 (1,151 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author austin.vojta
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

T-Mobile used to allow people who brought their own phones with them to opt out of the data plan, but Sprint & Verizon require data plans just like AT&T.

Message 5 of 5 (1,143 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.