Need help understanding your bill?
dingalpha's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, September 2nd, 2013 2:40 AM

transferring out after current contract expires

Hi there,

My current family plan has 4 numbers under the contract with different expiration dates. line 1 (primary line) ends Oct 7, 2013; line 2 ends Oct 11, 2013; line 3 ends Oct 12, 2013; line 4 ends Oct 13, 2013.

Upon the expiration of the contract, we all want to transfer to another carrier with current wireless numbers (individually). I have a couple of questions,

1, should I cancel the accout before transferring out? Does "transferring all numbers out" means the AT&T account was automatically  cancelled?

2, Will the transfer be initiated by the new carrier or AT&T?

3, Can the primary line transfer out before other lines do?

4, My monthly bill statement ends on 6th (post paid, like the payment for billing cycle July 7-Aug 6 is due on Sep 1st) . If everyone transfers out on the expiration dates (7th, 11th, 12th, 13th), do I pay an additional full month charge, or just prorated charges?

Thanks and I really appreciate any assistance. 

Best Regards,

Yi

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

294 Messages

11 years ago

1, Never cancel the account before transferring out. The receiving company cancels the line for you. Once the last line is ported out, the account is automatically cancelled.

2, The transfer is initiated by the other company.

3,  You can transfer any line out in whatever order you like(just make sure contract is up to avoid etf), order doesn't matter. One of the secondary lines would then become the primary line if the primary goes first.

4, If you're 100% sure you are grandfathered in on a postpaid account, then you are only charged until the date the line was ported out.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for your reply.

Just one more question, currently I logged onto my account at att.com using my own wireless number and make payments for the whole family. 

If there was any remaining balance that needs to be paid after all the numbers transfered out, can I still logged onto att.com using the old number (already transferred to another carrier at that time) and make payments? If I could not, how could I pay?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Best Regards,

Yi

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@dingalpha wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Just one more question, currently I logged onto my account at att.com using my own wireless number and make payments for the whole family. 

If there was any remaining balance that needs to be paid after all the numbers transfered out, can I still logged onto att.com using the old number (already transferred to another carrier at that time) and make payments? If I could not, how could I pay?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Best Regards,

Yi

pretty sure you will get a paper bill, once the account is canceled there is no online access available

Scholar

• 

75 Messages

11 years ago

Correct - Your online account will automatically be disabled and will be receiving a paper bill. Any unpaid amount, balance, debt will be sent to AT&T's Collection department. You sound like a Honest person, so that should not be a problem with you at all.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.