Need help understanding your bill?
devoidzer0's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, April 4th, 2014 7:59 PM

transfering billing responsibility questions

My contract is up and I'm thinking about selling my grandfathered unlimited smart phone data plan on eBay. I'm wondering if anyone who has experience with this can tell me how the process works.

When I go to my account on AT&T, there's an option to transfer billing responsibility. There's a form to enter a name and email address. What is the next step after this? Do I have to call the winning bidder to give them any information or can it be done through email? Is it done through AT&T or by calling them directly? What information is required from both of us?

Is it expected that I pay the bill for the month before transferring the number? Do I have to send the winning bidder my SIM card? Are there fees for transferring the account on both sides? If so, how much?

Any info would be appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

If you do a transfer of billing responsibility, the new person will have to chose from current plans. You CANNOT transfer grandfathered plans to another person.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

If this is the case, why are people selling grandfathered AT&T accounts with unlimited data on eBay for hundreds of dollars right now?

http://tinyurl.com/nfqt6pw

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

They can try and sell them but AT&T will not allow grandfathered plans to be transferred. to another account. You can check many of the postings here where it had been discussed at length.
The ONLY way it can be done is if it is done by someone at AT&T that can override the system but if it would get found out, someone would get fired.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

I've seen a few select situations that have allowed for certain grandfathered features/services to be moved, but they are few and far between. As a general rule, it's not possible to be moved.

I suspect those people on ebay are setting themselves up for failure and hoping to pressure the rep into moving it. It's not the representative's call, so that's a moot point.

-Alex

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@devoidzer0 wrote:

If this is the case, why are people selling grandfathered AT&T accounts with unlimited data on eBay for hundreds of dollars right now?

http://tinyurl.com/nfqt6pw

Two possible answers, either the sellers don't realize the ycan't transfer a grandfathered plan or they do and they are trying to scam somebody. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.