Need help understanding your bill?
retlawpdw's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 2:51 PM

poor AT&T Wireless policy - 4th line deposit

AT&T has a lousy policy all need to be aware of. If you add a fourth cell phone line, even if you have perfect credit, they will charge you a $455 deposit.
I had lines with Verizon and moved 3 over to AT&T (one had a few months left on the contract - as confirmed by AT&T at the store). At the time I moved the 3 lines over, they DID NOT tell me about the fourth line policy above. A few months later, I went into the store to move my wife's line (4th) over, they hit me with the deposit concept FOR THE FIRST TIME.
I tried to deal with this forum via private message - (after promising to call one day, they called back 2 days later after a second message) and they basically repeated the policy. The store manager (Perimeter Mall area - Atlanta) did not call me back either.
Just poor customer service. They would not allow me to return the phones either - because 14 days had past since the first 3 phones were activated.THis is despite the fact that they KNEW I wanted to add a fourth phone in May when I activated the first 3 phones.
Spread the word - AT&T Wireless does not want me as a customer - beware!!

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

11 years ago

Hello retlawpdw, thank you for posting and welcome to the forum!

I apologize the policy wasn't explained to you at the time of purchase, I can definitely see how frustrating it can be now. This policy has been in place for a long time and applies to all customers. It exist to prevent/reduce fraud, which unfortunately is a problem these days. There are couple of things I want to add:

1. If you decide to pay a deposit, you won't lose your money, you'll get it right back after 12 months of interrupted service.

2. After 150 days from opening an account and with good payment history, this deposit requirement will be removed from your account, it might make financial sense to wait in some cases.

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions.

Thanks,

Dmitriy.

Guru

• 

294 Messages

11 years ago

The deposit is possible on any line, even the first one. I have 6 lines on my account, at one point even had 7 and never paid a deposit. Just depends on the credit results. 

Plus, there are some states where ATT must pay you interest on the deposit. After 6 months of service with ATT, when they do a credit check, they include your payment history with ATT. I've never been suspended, I started out with 2 lines when my credit score was pretty good. After my divorce my credit score dropped to the 500's i think, but was able to add 3 more lines with no deposit. Now I have 6 lines with no deposit. 

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

11 years ago

I've never paid a deposit, and I just recently added a fourth line.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

see my post today. AT&T lied to my wife and now she will never be an AT&T customer. the 150 days was not honored - told 1 year today. If I could get myself and my 2 kids out of your deceptive contract - I would.

I will report this to the FCC and FTC - unfortunately there websites are closed today due to govt shutdown.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello retlawpdw

The policy is still 150 days from activation. I apologize, but I don't know why you were told 1 year. Since this is an account specific issue, we can have a social media manager review it for you and contact you directly for further assistance. We already have your contact information, let me know if you want us to open a new case for you.

Thank You,

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Any way Dmitriy can contact me, trying to resolve a 4th line issue without beginning legal action. Trying to reach att by email. Guess there is no server with enough storage to handle the amount of complaint emails you would get.

Paul

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@chefario wrote:
Any way Dmitriy can contact me, trying to resolve a 4th line issue without beginning legal action. Trying to reach att by email. Guess there is no server with enough storage to handle the amount of complaint emails you would get.

Paul

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community Support@ATTHelpForums is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST within 2 to 3 business days.

This will allow you to get a PM to the team that he works with

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello @chefario , welcome to the forums and thank you for posting.

I apologize for the issue you're having with AT&T. Our team can help you with that, like Wingrider suggested, please send us a private message, please include your name, phone number and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Community Support

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi chefario,

We received your private message, and one of our managers will be reaching out to you soon.

Thanks,

Jenn S.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

I find it funny that the initial concern of this customer was never confronted. Why did AT&T not inform him of the deposit required when they had foreknowledge of his intent to add a fourth line and allow him to commit to a contract that he would regret causing bad reputation to be generated for the company. Another representation of poor customer service;, and lack of training, and understanding of policies by AT&T, and their representatives.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.