For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
ggddgg's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Friday, November 25th, 2016 8:23 PM

pay in full for new phone upgrade

I am trying to pay in full for two upgrade phones. they are telling me I have to pay part and a small on monthly is this correct?

I have an existing plan which I want to keep. I want to pay in full so I don't have additional fee on my monthly bill.  If I figure out how to pay in full and keep same plan will I be eligible for upgrade?

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

7 years ago

@ggddgg, You certianly can buy a new phone at any time by paying the full amount. Was this a corporate store, authorized reseller, big box (target, walmart, Sams Club, ect). The only time you must use NEXT is with a couple of the promotional offers, such as BOGO or maybe some of the gift cards from big box stores.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@ggddgg I can't figure out what "I have to pay part and a small on monthly" means...

Pay it off and you should be eligible for a new next phone. (You can always pay full price)

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution". This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

I tried on att online and called a rep.  She said I could but then it wouldn't let her enter the full amount.  She said it would let me pay part of it and bill rest on next.  There is a free shipping on the order, but I didn't understand why I couldn't pay for both in full.

Thanks

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.  I talked to a rep on the phone after trying unsuccesfully to order online.  She said I could pay for both and she would take care of it.  When she tried she said it wouldn't let her apply the payment in full.  Then she said it said the maximum payment was 500+ dollars and they would bill $1.10 on my monthly bill extra for two years.  I just don't understand why I can't pay in full.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@ggddgg I think I understand now, your original wording was confusing.

I'm not sure why you're not JUST paying full price.  Not sure why are you even trying to do anything to do with next? 

Maybe you're trying to trade in a next phone that you still owe on? If that's the case, then the only option is to get another next phone, that's how they get you into the cycle of doom (I mean next). That's why.

If you still owe 6 months on the phone, you're basically selling that for the left over payments (usually that's not a great deal for you). Make sure that phone couldn't sell more on Gazelle.com (they buy back) or that you couldn't get more on ebay....

Here's WHY you maybe should not pay the phone down. At some point later you might want to trade that phone in, when you have 6 months left, you'll only be getting the last 6 months (and you'll barely own anything at the time) and you'll be getting even less for the phone.

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution". This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

I have had the phone since 2012.  It is a iphone 4 and I hate change lol. The other phone is about the same age so I don't have anything due & I don't want next.  The bill is paid in full each month and no issues.  I will probably go to a store and buy one.  Frustrated beyond belief!  I don't know why but I will tell you if I find I can go to the store and buy it outright.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks, Buster.  I am still trying and will probably go to the store and get them.  I owe nothing on the existing phones and have been off contract forever. When I find out the whys I will post.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@ggddgg wrote:

I have had the phone since 2012.  It is a iphone 4 and I hate change lol. The other phone is about the same age so I don't have anything due & I don't want next.  The bill is paid in full each month and no issues.  I will probably go to a store and buy one.  Frustrated beyond belief!  I don't know why but I will tell you if I find I can go to the store and buy it outright.

Then do NOT do next.  Just buy the phone.  (You have no reason to do Next unless you want a $250 gift card, see below).

BUT if it's an iPhone 7 you want, then go hurry up and get a black friday deal to get a $250 gift card for Best Buy, Target, and Walmart (they are all offering up to $250 in gift cards to their respective stores with the purchase of an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus on an eligible device payment plan), they put it on Next and you can go pay it off 100% next once you are able to (see free card requirements). Seems crazy to not get the free $250.

Or in your case, the free $500 in gift cards (2 phones x $250).

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@ggddgg wrote:

When I find out the whys I will post.

To AT&T, upgrading is NEXT. You can't do next without payments, it's pretty much the definition of Next.  That is why.

Don't do Next unless you have a reason to, it's a choice, you have do not have to do next...

I only do Next when it gets me something free, otherwise I'd buy my phone from Apple and have it unlocked (to use internationally in case I wanted to).  $250 is a reason to...

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

I called Walmart, guess what?  They sold out last night at the two stores that I called.  Go figure Lol!  I am going to a store and get one.  If I find any further info I will post it.  Thanks for your help Gary!! 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.