Helpful Links

my monthly bill keeps increasing

Contributor

my monthly bill keeps increasing

I had AT&T wireless home phone service and 4 cell phones all on my one account. In January of 2017 I canceled one of the cell phone accounts. My monthly bill dropped from $167.28 to $132.83 as I expected. But then in April 2017 the bill increased to 134.75, in May 2017 it increased to $134.99, in June 2017 it increased to $ 135.99, and now my current bill for August 2017 is shown at  $136.67.  Granted, that is only a total increase of $3.84 in 8 months. But there is nothing to explain that almost monthly "creep".   It isn't because of billing being prorated by the days in the month or it would have decreased in February. And it would have remained the same for the months that have 30 days with a slight bump for the months that have 31 days . April has 30 days, and it went up, June also has 30 days, but it still went up. 

It doesn't sound like much $$, but how far would it have continued to "creep" up and for how long if I had not noticed it ? 

I hope this question can be answered to my satisfaction within the next 15 days before my August payment is due. If it isn't I WILL find other telephone service by September.

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert

Re: my monthly bill keeps increasing

Your bill lists every charge. Compare the bills and see what charges are different. Most likely the differences are due to taxes or fees, not the service charges.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

why would the taxes or fees go up by  $1.92 in April, then only $0.24 cents in May, then $1.00 in June, NO CHANGE in July, the $0.68 cents in August? Seems rather erratic.  And those increases are cumulative. It isn't an increase to one amount, then an increase to that same first amount, it's an increase to the total, then that total is increased again, then again.  Feels like someone knows that most customers won't quibble over a couple bucks, or even notice it. But if this bill creep is done every month to hundreds of  thousands of customers, that can total to a pretty nice "bonus" in someones pocket.  And yes, ACE, I know how to read and compare my bill. 

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

We can't see your bill, only you can. Until you provide the information of what charges are actually changing, I'm just guessing. My bill occasionally changes but only by a few cents. When I compare bills, it's usually because of a difference in the universal service charge. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
ACE - Expert

@AirForceretired  Those are primarily pass though tax and fees.  They are itemized on your bill.  Compare months to see which ones are changing.    The last big jump on my bill was $28 cent increase in 911 fee per line, or a total of $1.12 on my bill.  

Each of the taxes and fees change on a regular basis, as often as every 3 months.   Mine have actually gone down on occasion.  

You can find out your local and state fees if you google them.  Especially 911 fee changes, which are local, not fed or state.

The increase is not in your services, which are fixed prices.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are customers too, NOT employees. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support