For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
dejayb's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, July 22nd, 2014 1:31 PM

ms. dejayb

I got another message today about using 2/3s of my data for the month again. I also heard that Facebook is now charging us? Can you tell if the increase is due to Facebook usage?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

10 years ago

I also have an android

To find out what uses your mobile data....
open settings
select mobile data.
scroll down the list to see what, and how much data is used, by which App. At the top is a box with a slider so you can select a window of time. you can move the slider to look at a 30 day period or just one week, whatever.
**If the informations below doesn't include the source of your data use, please holler back with which App is the culprit.

To restrict FB (or any App)
Open Facebook app
open the menu and scroll down to Application settings. go through the list and turn off automatic updates, video and most notifications. I have FB limited to using only notifications for private messages.
Turn off anything else that you think may help limit the Apps data use.

You can open other apps, like email and change the settings so email is checked less often, or only checked on a "push" or "fetch" basis (mail is only loaded over mobile data when you open the Application"

Sending photo or video with text messages uses you mobile data - EVEN if you are connected to wifi.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

The change to videos automatically starting (which will consume quite a bit of data for you) had changed several weeks (maybe even a couple months) back. When this change happened, a number of users didn't even notice that the videos were playing (without audio) just by scrolling over them. Those playing videos did consume quite a bit of data, especially is you are not on wifi. I'm not sure about android, but for Apple iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc.) you can turn off the "video auto play" feature for the FaceBook app. I would guess that there is some setting to do this on android.

Now, with you getting the warning, it is not necessarily a bad thing. As long as you are further than 75% of the way into your billing cycle, and you have only used 66% of your data allocation, then statistically you are doing well, since your data usage is slower than your billing cycle, so unless you increase your usage, you might be fine. As long as you don't go over your data package limit, it isn't bad to use it all, it just means that you are getting the best utilization of your resources.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks. I did have to do that before with my friends phone. And I didn't know about sending videos through messages used so much data. My friend and I are guilty of that. He some how uses most of the data.
Time to go through his phone again and let him read your message.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

10 years ago

It's funny isn't it?
Before we ever heard of data or data plans, we could send picture messages with text. The pictures were pretty low quality.
Now, not only is it not free because it won't send over wifi, but it chews through a ton of our mobile data because the new phones take high resolution pictures.

Glad to know you are on the right track to knowing what is causing the problem. Knowing what racks up data charges is the best way of getting it under control.

I think there are Apps you can use over wifi for pics and video. Including Facebook messenger, with the restricted settings of course.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I think I may know what most of the usage is from. Just need to get my friend to listen to me. 😊

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Now I know why I could not send a media message to my daughter. Because I have the cellular turned off.
You are full of good information.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.