For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
eviltemplates's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, August 29th, 2014 11:12 PM

help me! Blacklisted Phone

ok so i bought a motorola X for AT&T on craigslist, i got it unlocked and the ESN was Clean i used it on Tmobile. yesterday i found a sim card. so i inserted it on my Moto X and the Line was activated it had service and all, it was a florida area code, i did saved the number,

well i let it sit for about 5 hours waiting for a call or text from the owner, i though maybe i could return it, but the next day i turned on my phone and my Tmobile sim card never found network, so i tried the AT&T one and i tried to see if it still had service and it didnt,,, a message plays saying the Device has been block and cannot be used with AT&T

so i checked on swappa my ESN and it says its Blacklisted,,,,it was reported lost or stolen!!

now the phone is useless! only for the mistake i made of inserting the Sim card i found on my phone!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

There is absolutely no way to locate or Identify the owner! I had to factory reset the phone just to get into it. After 4 years of it sitting, I figured it a non-issue to even consider locating them.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

7 years ago

@MobileOwner wrote:
There is absolutely no way to locate or Identify the owner! I had to factory reset the phone just to get into it. After 4 years of it sitting, I figured it a non-issue to even consider locating them.

You don't have to locate them; you just can't activate the phone reported lost.

Think about it: If there was a time limit on the lock out for a lost or stolen phone, how long would it be? One year? Two years? No matter how long it is, a thief can just keep the phone until that time period elapses and sell it then. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

Blacklisting can only be reversed by the person who put it on the list, which they only do if they get their phone back.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Save all your data to your computer theen try doing s factory reset

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Save all your phone's data to your computer. You can do his by connecting your the charging cord to a usb port on your computer. After making sure you have saved your data as well as your contact list do a favrory reset

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Bruce_002  And this does what for a blacklisted phone?  Nothing.  Saves the data, which should be backed up anyway.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

The problem is don’t count on all your data being backed up. Be smart before you do a factory reset back it up to your computer then you are sure of a full backup to upload if you have to get new phone. I found that some data like pictures isnot backed up unless you have backed up to the cloud which sometimes malfunctions. It’s better to be safe with your data than sorry

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Do not buy a phone from a private party.  Even if you check the IMEI, and even if you call AT&T, and even if AT&T tells you the phone is clean, then you will still be treated like the criminal if the seller reports the phone as stolen after you have been using the phone for over a year.  This actually happened to us. After many agents saying we were not at fault, and they understand, and the phone will be unblocked, the fraud department has not taken our phone off the blocked list.  Promises, promises, but in the end it is a nightmare.  AT&T will not back up their customer, even if you have been with them over ten years without incident.They will not contact the previous owner who reported the phone as stolen.

It is not the employees fault, it is the corporate structure. We have come a long way from "the customer is always right" and "innocent until proven guilty."  We have gotten to the place of guilty unless you buy the phone from Apple or AT&T.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@alanlev wrote:

Do not buy a phone from a private party.  Even if you check the IMEI, and even if you call AT&T, and even if AT&T tells you the phone is clean, then you will still be treated like the criminal if the seller reports the phone as stolen after you have been using the phone for over a year.  This actually happened to us. After many agents saying we were not at fault, and they understand, and the phone will be unblocked, the fraud department has not taken our phone off the blocked list.  Promises, promises, but in the end it is a nightmare.  AT&T will not back up their customer, even if you have been with them over ten years without incident.They will not contact the previous owner who reported the phone as stolen.

It is not the employees fault, it is the corporate structure. We have come a long way from "the customer is always right" and "innocent until proven guilty."  We have gotten to the place of guilty unless you buy the phone from Apple or AT&T.

As far as ATT And all other carriers are concerned the only valid owner is the original purchaser.  If you buy a gray market phone you assume the risk.  NO CARRIER will help you.  Your innocence or right and wrong  is not the issue.  The original purchaser has the right to blacklist.  

That said I’ve bought and sold used phones with only one issue with a sale (not a purchase). 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

They really do a number on us customers. I lost a complete OS because customer care informed me that my OS was on 600 computers. I only have a desktop and a laptop, and now a cell, and informed them of this but they would not budge or check it out. Finally I got to someone with more computer savvy and it turned out that a hacker had hacked into my computer and stolen my OS and it was they who put my OS on 600 computers. Word to the wise never allow one to take over your computer unless you know them, and never believe that someone on the other end of the internet is actually a certified MS technician unless you have personally gone into a MS Site seeking help with a program file or you may find out that has hacked into your computer and put a tracking cookie into your computer. This type of cookie s something like a worm. Every time you go online the person who placed it there knows when you are online and can hack into your computer without you knowing.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.