Need help understanding your bill?
mbrown877's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, June 8th, 2016 6:35 PM

does the apple watch use data?

Does the apple watch use up data on my AT&T plan??

I have a certain amount of data on my monthly account.  I'm wondering, each time my iPhone sends some message or alert or anythinig to my Apple watch, does this utilize data on my AT&T plan?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

I think this answer should be more of a yes than a no

@mbrown877 Technically the watch is not accessing the cellular network, it's asking the iPhone to use make a request to use the iPhone's cellular data, but the result of that request is using your AT&T data. Isn't that really what you want to know? Is data being used?

Saying the Apple Watch doesn't use cellular data is sort of like saying my laptop doesn't use cellular data, when my laptop tethers to my iPhone it asks my iPhone to use it's cellular data whenever the laptop wants anything from the internet (technically the laptop is not using the data, the iPhone is).  

The Apple Watch accesses the iPhone's cellular data whenever it does anything that requires internet access when your iPhone is on Cellular (not WiFi).   

Siri, Weather, Maps, Messages (that are iMessage and not text messages), Shazam, sports scores, tapping / sketching (where you draw on someone's watch), audio messages, Shazam, and more...  

This is not much data, it's not streaming video, it's not a lot of photos, but it is data

Probably for anything like your contacts, callendar and personal things it just gets them from your phone via their connection.

If the iPhone has data over WiFi, the watch uses that (and not cellular, just like the iPhone), actually I think it can sometimes use WiFi without the iPhone.

Again, I'm sure it's not a lot, but my Apple Watch has the temperature on the watch face, that's constantly changing so it's constantly getting updates over the internet and when I'm not home that's cellular data.

In the settings app in your usage, you can look up the watch, but mine only says 14MB for the last 8+ months, that must(?) be just the watch app. I'd guess that the data that it asks individual apps would be reported under those apps.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Yes, it has a SIM card and shares your data plan.  They use very little data.

@GLIMMERMAN76 might have more information on smart watch data use.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40

Apple watches have no sim cards as its bluetooth only.  Its one thing that crapple produced that looks like a kids toy and they have had to lower the prices more and more.

@mbrown877

The only data the watch uses is if you search the internet or use apps that need internet on the watch they will use the data connection from your cell phone.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

I thought it did...

So it's even less useful that Apple would like customers to believe. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

Can't live without my Apple Watch!  Can't wait for Apple Watch 3.0!

Totally changes the way I used my iPhone and information and health related things and bicycle and using alarms and timers and who knows what else...

Would you like some Apple flavored Kool-Aid?!?

(To be clear, I'm completely serious except for the last line. And I'm semi-serious about that!)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I called at&t about this, and was told the watch does Not utilize data.
....and, btw, the apple watch is a very cool accessory, and certainly the best smart watch on the market. 🙂
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.