lltytgbr's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, December 31st, 2012 2:37 AM

contract end date overlaps cycle

Good evening all,

a few questions:

- My contract ends 1/31/2013, while my cycle ends on the 4th, so it would end Feb 4th. I want to swtich to Verizon. What day should I get in touch with At&t so they'll know I do not want to continue their service?

-Can this be done online or over the phone? I will be out of the country starting the 31st through mid feb and cannot go to a store, but can certainly call.

-For my number to be able to port, I have to get in touch with Verizon first. What day should I do that?

Thanks for all your help. Happy New Year.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

11 years ago

Cell providers do not prorate final bills, so if you miss by 1 day, you will pay for the entire month. It would be best to switch after the 31st.
When a number is ported, the account is automatically closed. It would be best to port prior to the 4th but after the 31st.
There is no need to contact AT&T if you are porting your number.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@lltytgbr wrote:

What do you mean by " miss by 1 day,"? Do you mean if I use my phone after the 4th?

Is there still a need to call AT&T to cancel, or since the number will be ported, they will automatically know?

I just wanna do this right so I walk away without any hidden charges coming to me in the month of March!

Thanks for your assistance.

once the number port is started to the new carrier the new carrier will handle the cancelation of your old contract. Given the time required for the number to be fully transfered and notification to be sent by the new carrier it may go beyond your billing cycle cutoff date, if it does you will be charged for  full month of service by the previous carrier - not unique to att, it can occur with all carriers

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

What do you mean by " miss by 1 day,"? Do you mean if I use my phone after the 4th?

Is there still a need to call AT&T to cancel, or since the number will be ported, they will automatically know?

I just wanna do this right so I walk away without any hidden charges coming to me in the month of March!

Thanks for your assistance.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Very good to know; I had no idea.

Is there an average time it takes for that to happen?

Guru

• 

294 Messages

11 years ago

if it's a cell phone company to cell phone company, especially the major ones, usually the next day. I've gone from t mobile, to verizon, and then to att, and back to t mobile. All of them went through by the next day. That's just my experience between those.

to port to landlines, it does take maybe 3-5 business days, maybe even more. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@ujmnz wrote:

if it's a cell phone company to cell phone company, especially the major ones, usually the next day. I've gone from t mobile, to verizon, and then to att, and back to t mobile. All of them went through by the next day. That's just my experience between those.

to port to landlines, it does take maybe 3-5 business days, maybe even more. 

the port may happen the next day, but the bill cutoff is not always processed at the same time, it goes to the next business day to start the account close process

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Do you guys think that I should port my number on the 1st? (Because it's after the contract ends, but still within the cycle.)

Hopefully from the 1st to the 4th it will be enough time.

Guru

• 

294 Messages

11 years ago

If It's to a major cell phone carrier, I would start process on the 31st. But I would call ATT to double check that the ETF field in their system shows $0.

The account closes as soon as port goes through.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.