Explore & discover

Helpful Links

att.net free message validation code - Definitive Response to Community Please

att.net free message validation code - Definitive Response to Community Please

I, like many here, have recently received the text from "att.net free message" saying I have a validation code with which I need to respond. I have NOT changed anything, should NOT be validating anything and am rather concerned about the idea that my account may have been compromised somehow. In previous posts about this issue, all I have seen are responses from support folks who say they will contact the poster via private message to discuss the issue. However, there has STILL not been an answer to the community as a whole as to what is going on. Has AT&T been hacked and accounts stolen? What is going on? Do we as account holders need to be concerned? 

Can we PLEASE get some sort of answer here? Or do I just need to go straight to the actual support team?

The number of the text sender is 277-361. I will not respond at all, do anything until I know the proper thing to do. I appreciate any help....and thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 47
Contributor

Re: att.net free message validation code - Definitive Response to Community Please

Yes received one also today. Want to know if it is legitimately them or someone else before I block it 

Message 2 of 47

Re: att.net free message validation code - Definitive Response to Community Please

And I agree would also like a public response not private message response because I was looking at the same thing and that’s all I have is finding 

Message 3 of 47

Add me to this list. Same message, same sender. An official response is required at this point, 

Message 4 of 47
Contributor

I even spoke to the people at AT&T fraud center. I was brushed off by a representative saying, “customer service should have told you to log onto ATT.com and change your password.  It sounds as if someone may have tried to access your account.” Someone is not telling us something.

Message 5 of 47

Out of curiosity, did anyone else's validation code happen to match the last four digits of their cellphone?

Message 6 of 47
ACE - Master

1. If you're concerned unauthorized changes have been made to your account, log in or call AT&T and verify everything is the way it should be. Probably not a bad idea to change your PIN and passwords at this time, too. 

2. More than likely, it's scammers pretending to be AT&T and trying to get you to give away information. Not responding is definitely the right thing to do.  In this case, there isn't anything AT&T can help with. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 47

Mine was not the same numbers as my cell phone. But that is odd. I can see ATT will not really answer the question just a canned response

Message 8 of 47

Disappointing, but expected. Because you have to believe for as many people who post here about it, how many more out there are having the same thing pop up today?

i would agree with @Joygee that something is going on and we're not being informed.

Message 9 of 47
Contributor

AT&T should not only be answering but out in front of this. Nope. No one in support answering the question. Many threads on this.

My thought it is a SCAM. Ignore it. 

Message 10 of 47
Contributor

The text you received is a scam. I don't even have AT&T, and received the same message from a 277-361 number. I would advise to not click the link, or enter any code. It could lead to malware being installed on your phone.  

Message 11 of 47
Contributor

I received one also and this isn't the first time got one. called AT&T  months ago when this happen and no activity on my account showing an issue.. this is disheartening no answers for it...I changed my AT&T password to be safe..id like answers as if someone did try to compromise my account does the fact they never received the code mean they didn't get any further??? ANSWERS AT&T  }}}PLEASE{{{

Message 12 of 47
Contributor

I got that text yesterday and I did not respond. Seemed weird. Sent this message to the at&t spam message number and it just told me to reply “stop.” Which I did. It’s definitely a scam. Whenever you unsubscribe from receiving alerts, it will reply with a confirmation. Nothing. AT&T needs to address this. 

Message 13 of 47
ACE - Master

AT&T can’t do anything about someone texting you pretending to be AT&T. Anyone could do the same thing. It’s just someone (or some group) sending text messages. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 47
Contributor

What I am saying, is they can alert people if this is a scam. This number is not a regular number, it’s what’s classified as a short code. Not everyone is going to ignore it.
Message 15 of 47
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support