For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
cptxdolphan's profile

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, April 4th, 2018 2:58 PM

att.net free message validation code - Definitive Response to Community Please

I, like many here, have recently received the text from "att.net free message" saying I have a validation code with which I need to respond. I have NOT changed anything, should NOT be validating anything and am rather concerned about the idea that my account may have been compromised somehow. In previous posts about this issue, all I have seen are responses from support folks who say they will contact the poster via private message to discuss the issue. However, there has STILL not been an answer to the community as a whole as to what is going on. Has AT&T been hacked and accounts stolen? What is going on? Do we as account holders need to be concerned? 

Can we PLEASE get some sort of answer here? Or do I just need to go straight to the actual support team?

The number of the text sender is 277-361. I will not respond at all, do anything until I know the proper thing to do. I appreciate any help....and thank you in advance.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Got the phishing text on 06/27/2018 at around 6 AM from 277361:

"att.net free message: Please use this 4-digit code to complete your mobile validation: 7955. This is a single use code."

Initially ignored message. Code dissimilar to phone number. Now reporting as spam and forwarding to 7726(SPAM) per AT&T responses here.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Received at text also. I won’t respond as I don’t know why I’m getting it. ATT can you answer this?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Also received this message. ATT can you answer if it’s from you?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

“att.net free message: Please use this 4-digit code to complete your mobile validation: ****. This is a single use code.”

I did not request this? Why am I getting this message? 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

The real value (or lack thereof) of ATT or any 'service' company is their willingness to clearly and quickly answer user questions and concerns. ATT fails miserably. That validation code request text is clearly a scam - and ATT should assume the responsibility to alert all of its customers to it. Failing to do this is simply an example of customer neglect.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@marindavid wrote:

The real value (or lack thereof) of ATT or any 'service' company is their willingness to clearly and quickly answer user questions and concerns. ATT fails miserably. That validation code request text is clearly a scam - and ATT should assume the responsibility to alert all of its customers to it. Failing to do this is simply an example of customer neglect.

A rep from AT&T posted in April and gave links to articles on their website alerting customers to common scams. As you can see, this is a persistent scam targeting different customers at different times. There's a just simply no effective and unintrusive way to personally warn customers about every possible scam that's out there. There are just too many and they're too frequent. Consumers must protect themselves from scammers.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Received this text from 227-361 on June 29, 2018 at 9:06 pm.

att.net free message: Please use this 4-digit code to complete your mobile validation: 8835. This is a single use code.

The next day, June 30 at 4:17 p.m., I received this text from number 1 (410) 200-503:

FRM: 97867562346357654987526346537568763426@a

SUBJ: (please-verify)
    MSG:_Amount received 23BTC http://tx-fw.com _COINBASE_

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

This thread goes back to April and I received the same message on July 11th, so obviously at&t has done nothing about it.  One would think that they could block any communication from that number.  After all, it IS their network, right?  If we can block individual numbers on our phone, the SHOULD be able to block a specific one from their network, right?!

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Steven_Fuhrman wrote:

This thread goes back to April and I received the same message on July 11th, so obviously at&t has done nothing about it.  One would think that they could block any communication from that number.  After all, it IS their network, right?  If we can block individual numbers on our phone, the SHOULD be able to block a specific one from their network, right?!

The number displayed might not even be the number that's being used. Caller ID can be spoofed, so if the number was blocked from the network, it might be a legitimate person who no longer can use their phone. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I wouid think they could, but I understand the spoofing also. Just sad so many out there trying to scam people. ATT could at least say whether they send these kind of messages out or tell us to call them to verify the message. And not a phone number from the text. ATT could do more to protect its customers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.