Need help understanding your bill?
cptxdolphan's profile

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, April 4th, 2018 2:58 PM

att.net free message validation code - Definitive Response to Community Please

I, like many here, have recently received the text from "att.net free message" saying I have a validation code with which I need to respond. I have NOT changed anything, should NOT be validating anything and am rather concerned about the idea that my account may have been compromised somehow. In previous posts about this issue, all I have seen are responses from support folks who say they will contact the poster via private message to discuss the issue. However, there has STILL not been an answer to the community as a whole as to what is going on. Has AT&T been hacked and accounts stolen? What is going on? Do we as account holders need to be concerned? 

Can we PLEASE get some sort of answer here? Or do I just need to go straight to the actual support team?

The number of the text sender is 277-361. I will not respond at all, do anything until I know the proper thing to do. I appreciate any help....and thank you in advance.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I received the same message:

att.net free message: Please use this 4-digit code to complete your mobile validation: 5066. This is a single use code.

After about 30 minutes of ATT customer service calls I received confirmation that it is a spam text and that you should not reply. 

Scott

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Same same.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

6 years ago

AT&T needs to start reading the news and see what has happened to Facebook when they chose to not get stop people from using their system inappropriately.

It would be very interesting to have all these forum posts become part of "discovery". It would show that AT&T knew about the problem, but chose to ignore it.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Tutor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Apparently according to http://shortcodes.org/uncategorized/277361-short-code this is a fake text message being sent to try and hack you.  Do not open it, but instead report it to ATT.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

May 15 2018  TinkEy124

Apparently this is happening for some time and it’s not been stopped. Is it not stopped because they can’t track where it’s coming from or is it just not considered serious enough. Some people may not be as careful and will get scammed. So why isn’t something being done. I’ve gotten this before and ignored it. Now I’m getting annoyed and concerned. I’m going to go further with this for sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Add me to the list...was not thinking.  No help from AT&T Customer Care.....

Reset Pin?

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

@TinkEy124 wrote:

May 15 2018  TinkEy124

Apparently this is happening for some time and it’s not been stopped. Is it not stopped because they can’t track where it’s coming from or is it just not considered serious enough. Some people may not be as careful and will get scammed. So why isn’t something being done. I’ve gotten this before and ignored it. Now I’m getting annoyed and concerned. I’m going to go further with this for sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

There's nothing anyone can do. The best help I can offer is to tell you to continue protecting yourself and your information. There's no way to "go further" and trying to do so will just frustrate you. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

att.net free message: Please use this 4-digit code to complete your mobile validation: 7827. This is a single use code.

recieved this message 5/25/2018. There is a link to an official looking att website where you can login to your account. It's clear a scam. They should block 277-361 from sending messages on their network.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Pmax01 wrote:

att.net free message: Please use this 4-digit code to complete your mobile validation: 7827. This is a single use code.

recieved this message 5/25/2018. There is a link to an official looking att website where you can login to your account. It's clear a scam. They should block 277-361 from sending messages on their network.

If they did, the scammers would use a different number. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Unfortunately today I got one of these texts and thought it was a message to allow me to receive a message a friend was sending from an international flight.  I replied to it with the code included in the message (stupid).  Does anyone know what occurs if you text the code back?  I happen to now have received another random text about a transaction that occurred which I’ve sent to ATT spam number and did not reply to.  Should I be concerned and using my phone?  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.