Need help understanding your bill?
cptxdolphan's profile

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, April 4th, 2018 2:58 PM

att.net free message validation code - Definitive Response to Community Please

I, like many here, have recently received the text from "att.net free message" saying I have a validation code with which I need to respond. I have NOT changed anything, should NOT be validating anything and am rather concerned about the idea that my account may have been compromised somehow. In previous posts about this issue, all I have seen are responses from support folks who say they will contact the poster via private message to discuss the issue. However, there has STILL not been an answer to the community as a whole as to what is going on. Has AT&T been hacked and accounts stolen? What is going on? Do we as account holders need to be concerned? 

Can we PLEASE get some sort of answer here? Or do I just need to go straight to the actual support team?

The number of the text sender is 277-361. I will not respond at all, do anything until I know the proper thing to do. I appreciate any help....and thank you in advance.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

The text you received is a scam. I don't even have AT&T, and received the same message from a 277-361 number. I would advise to not click the link, or enter any code. It could lead to malware being installed on your phone.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I received one also and this isn't the first time got one. called AT&T  months ago when this happen and no activity on my account showing an issue.. this is disheartening no answers for it...I changed my AT&T password to be safe..id like answers as if someone did try to compromise my account does the fact they never received the code mean they didn't get any further??? ANSWERS AT&T  }}}PLEASE{{{

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I got that text yesterday and I did not respond. Seemed weird. Sent this message to the at&t spam message number and it just told me to reply “stop.” Which I did. It’s definitely a scam. Whenever you unsubscribe from receiving alerts, it will reply with a confirmation. Nothing. AT&T needs to address this. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

AT&T can’t do anything about someone texting you pretending to be AT&T. Anyone could do the same thing. It’s just someone (or some group) sending text messages. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

What I am saying, is they can alert people if this is a scam. This number is not a regular number, it’s what’s classified as a short code. Not everyone is going to ignore it.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I think most of us know this is a scam. That's not my concern. My concern is that there appears to be a large number of AT&T users who are victims of it. So how did the scammer get all these numbers? It seems like everyday in the news we hear of another company's data breach and how it has taken them weeks (if not longer) to admit to said breach, keeping customers in the dark. 

I believe the OP (and I know I do) wants an official response from AT&T that there has been no breach.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I too received the text.  It contained a ‘valudation code’.  I replied asking ‘Valudation for what?’

Please investigate.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

On the AARP website, the first two recommendations are these:

• Ignore instructions to text "STOP" or "NO" to prevent future texts. This is a common ploy by scammers to confirm they have a live, active contact for more cellphone spam, says Landesman. Never dial call-back numbers either.  I replied STOP to my first text and got another one two weeks later!)
  • Forward the texts to 7726 (SPAM on most keypads). This will alert your cellphone carrier to block future texts from those numbers.

Hello?!  AT&T?  Your 7726 system actually tells us to reply STOP!  I've reported this recurring text to the FTC, too.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

No it did not match my cell phone number

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Same message, not similar to my mobile number. Forwarded it to AT&T 7726, the bot said to text STOP so I did, then blocked the number.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.