For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
hampton86's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, January 26th, 2013 2:18 AM

adding a line to family plan

I want to purchase a new phone. I have 4 lines on my family plan. My current phone is not eligible for an upgrade. I was told by an ATT rep that I could open a new line. Purchase the new phone, then port my number to the new phone and 5th line. Then the 4th line would just be left blank until the contract period ends which I then can cancel that line.

Is it that easy if I purchase the phone from an online wireless phone provider like amazonwireless?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

@hampton86 wrote:

I want to purchase a new phone. I have 4 lines on my family plan. My current phone is not eligible for an upgrade. I was told by an ATT rep that I could open a new line. Purchase the new phone, then port my number to the new phone and 5th line. Then the 4th line would just be left blank until the contract period ends which I then can cancel that line.

Is it that easy if I purchase the phone from an online wireless phone provider like amazonwireless?

@hampton86, do you want to add a line just for the purpose of getting a new phone at a subsidized price? If so, you can use the upgrade eligibility from another line on the account. Here is more information. Click on the dropdown for Transfer upgrade eligibility from one line on your account to another. 

Hope this helps! 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

11 years ago

@hampton86 wrote:

It should be just as simple if you use a 3rd party website, but be aware 3rd party sellers sometimes have additional requirements for maintaining the contract.

Also, it doesn't sound like the rep explained the cancellation well.  Let's say your phone number is 1234 (which I'm gathering is an existing line with AT&T) currently has a contract end date of 1/1/2014. If you purchase a new phone line 1212 today, it would have a contract end date of 1/26/2015. 

You can use the new device with phone number 1234. You would simply put your sim card in the new phone. The cancellation dates for the phone numbers would not change, however. So you could still cancel number 1234 on 1/1/2014, but that would disconnect YOUR phone number. You wouldn't be able to cancel 1212 until 2015. There is no such thing as porting a phone number within the same phone company.

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

11 years ago

The biggest issue with purchasing phones from Amazon and not from the AT&T store is that when you agree to the terms and conditions, you're agreeing to AMAZON'S terms and conditions, not necessarily AT&T's. As well, we cannot speculate on Amazon's return policy, exchange policy, or warranty policy. Plus, these phones will NOT be eligible for AT&T Mobile Insurance.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I have a family plan and actually are 4 phones , will like to add one more , how much this will be a month extra
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.