For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
sheppworld's profile

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, September 28th, 2013 7:26 PM

With existing Phone into Family plan or prepaid plan?

Hi, 
I have a phone in a family plan already, but bought a new one and now I try to figure out which plan would be good for me. 
I'm leaving the US next year summer and can't sign in for a 2 year contract. 
I want to keep the costs as low as possible, so here is my question. 
1. start a 2 year contract with unlimited talk+text+data 
2. drop out of the family plan and start a gophone contract 

3. start a contract with another company

I would like to have unlimited talk+text and I would need 3GB data. Everything what I found would be $60 I also compared to T-mobile. 
What would you recommend?

If I upgrade the phone it would be a $375 Fee and every month drop $10. That would mean I have to pay $275 when I drop out next year but the other lines would be still active. 

I'm totally confused with all those information and everything just seems expensive. 
Thanks for your help  🙂 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

Right let's begin with answering your question. 🙂 if you know that you won't be in the US, then you correct in not signing a 2 year agreement. If you did sign one, the ETF would be 325 - $10 per month completed. So if you completed 12 months, it would be $325 - $120 = $205. Keep in mind that your monthly charges would be added to that $205 for the final bill before taxes.

Prepaid would definitely be an option you can go for! The iPhone is now supported and you shouldn't have any issues. The downside of this is that the $65 plan only includes 1GB , but you can use wifi to compensate for that! 🙂

If you were to sign with a other company.. Honestly it would depend on a lot of things. How's the coverage in your area, do you travel to other states etc etc. For me personally, T-Mobile offers better pricing, but AT&T offers more coverage which I need! So it depends on your needs and how much your willing to pay for service. But I would suggest asking friends and family if they have T-Mobile to find out if it's good in your area and if they experience frequent dropped calls and stuff like that! 🙂

Hope that answers your questions!

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Update:

the old phone is a Pantech breeze 3 

the New One is a iphone5s, without a contract 

the family plan is a 3 line and has two iPhones in it. 

if I would be in that plan it would be $30 otherwise with a new start $50- $60 

and I can't figure out online to order a plan without ordering a phone with it. 

soes anyone know the costs of an upgrade from the pantech to the iPhone?

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you! 

I will go to BestBuy and T-mobile to see who wants to make a great deal. 
A lot of my friends have T-mobile, it just depends on the monthly payment now, what am I getting. 

I didn't knew that the monthly charges would be added to the $205, so thank you for that (not even at&t told me that)

Why are they charging the monthly amount, when I drop out? 

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

This is standard with all wireless carriers, even T-Mobile, although they claim to be an "uncarrier" of sorts. Without going into too much specifics, it's generally the subscriber is responsible for services used. So if you used even 14 days of service and returned the phone (of course under the buyers remorse), you would still be billed for the point of service to the time you cancelled. 🙂

T-Mobile is definitely the winner when it comes to pricing. But pricing isn't everything. You have to be sure you can actually use the service your paying for. 🙂 I would recommend asking some of your friends how they like the service with T-Mobile before talking to a rep (who's goal is to make a sale of course, same for car dealers etc.).

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Great info. One of the answers I was looking for! Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.