Need help understanding your bill?
JayTX1's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, March 23rd, 2019 9:41 PM

Why did AT&T change my plan without telling me?

Been a long time AT&T customer and received an email today regarding my "account changes".  Went into my account to find out that my plan has been changed without my approval, and my new monthly bill amount is $60 more than it has been.  Additionally, since it's being done mid month, my upcoming bill will be essentially double of what I typically pay.  So, I call ATT customer service, and the woman tells me my plan's been discontinued and they moved me to a new plan but I get more data with it.  Wow?!  Oh...and the amount they notified me is incorrect.  She says ATT is aware that it's been distributing erroneous billing notices but hasn't fixed it.  I told her I wasn't interested in an increase in my monthly wireless bill.  Her solution was to tell my daughter to use less data so we could downgrade our plan, and then essentially pay what we've been paying all along...maybe $10 less per month.  So, as a thank you for being a long term ATT customer, I have the choice to limit my daughter's phone usage to keep paying what I've been paying, or upgrade to a higher data plan even though I've never gone over and don't need any extra data.  She then tried to educate me on how wifi works and that doesn't cost me anything.  Wow..a GREAT example of HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

5 years ago

@BobbyBG wrote:

I see the confusion with understanding the discrepancy in my bills. I was not paying $100 for the 15GB before the discount. I was paying much less so that is how my total bill was $130. So when I say my bill increased about $50 from what I was paying, it did even after discounts because the data is now $110 to me. So for those paying $100 previously for 15GB it would be a $10 increase. However I did  not go from 100 to 110. Thanks. 

How "much less?"  What is the name of your plan?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

My bill went up by $82 this month. I can't find a way on the website to chat/call AT&T about this issue. I can't find a phone number. Help!

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

5 years ago

@wabeck3533, first suggestion: read the darn bill!!!!

Second suggestion: read last month’s bill and figure out what is different. 

If you let us know that information, we can help determine the issue. Otherwise, calling 611 from your phone will get you to customer service. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@wabeck3533 wrote:

My bill went up by $82 this month. I can't find a way on the website to chat/call AT&T about this issue. I can't find a phone number. Help!

At the bottom of the page you posted on it says ‘contact us’.  In that link is phone numbers and chat option. 

At&t service numbers are in your phone too.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I have Verizon wireless, will 611 work? I think I need an 800 number.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@wabeck3533 wrote:
I have Verizon wireless, will 611 work? I think I need an 800 number.

1.   You asked about an At&t cellular bill, yes?  What’s this about Verizon?

2.   No calling 611 on a Verizon phone calls Verizon 

3.   2nd time, contact us link below has all methods including full 800 number.

4.  We don’t work here.  

5.  Read your bill.  If it’s a final bill it may include remaining installments or ETF

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

5 years ago

The real number is 800 331-0500. I don’t know how your bill went up with AT&T if you are a Verizon customer, but there you go...

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

I had something similar happen to me today. AT&T decided to upgrade my wireless service on their own behalf. Sorry, but a “notification” in a bill doesn’t count as the consumer making the decision to upgrade a plan. That’s like if I sent everyone a letter that they’re going to receive a sandwich, and then sending a sandwich out a week later along with a $10 charge. That’s just borderline fraud.

Honestly, I do understand that bills must go up, but the way AT&T did it was very slimy. If AT&T just said “due to inflation and infrastructure costs, your plan increased in price,” I wouldn’t even have questioned it. I would have said, “yeah, that’s fair,” and then just moved on. But instead it left me feeling violated that someone else felt they had rights over my credit card in charging me a service I never wanted. I ended up getting the plan reversed, but if they had just done it in the manner that I suggested, I would’ve continued paying the higher price instead of now considering switching providers. Whoever was the PR that made this suggestion should reconsider their career choice.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@IntegraRC wrote:

I had something similar happen to me today. AT&T decided to upgrade my wireless service on their own behalf. Sorry, but a “notification” in a bill doesn’t count as the consumer making the decision to upgrade a plan. That’s like if I sent everyone a letter that they’re going to receive a sandwich, and then sending a sandwich out a week later along with a $10 charge. That’s just borderline fraud.

Honestly, I do understand that bills must go up, but the way AT&T did it was very slimy. If AT&T just said “due to inflation and infrastructure costs, your plan increased in price,” I wouldn’t even have questioned it. I would have said, “yeah, that’s fair,” and then just moved on. But instead it left me feeling violated that someone else felt they had rights over my credit card in charging me a service I never wanted. I ended up getting the plan reversed, but if they had just done it in the manner that I suggested, I would’ve continued paying the higher price instead of now considering switching providers. Whoever was the PR that made this suggestion should reconsider their career choice.

Here we go again.  Email was sent out 2 months in advance.  Bill notice the month before.  If you don’t read emails or bill notice AT&T isn’t responsible.  They did what is required to notify you per the terms of service.  

It is not an ‘upgrade to your plan’.   It’s a cost increase.  The added data is irrelevant to the increase in price.  

The PR people got blasted last year (we forum members called foul) when they increased the Advantage plan as they did not send emails, just did the notice on the previous bill.  Notices don’t help if no one reads them.  

Before you go off in a huff, do some research.  AT&T increase the price on these plans because they are far below what is currently offered. It would cost me $80 more a month just for service to change to a current AT&T plan with anywhere near the same amount of data. It would cost me $100 a month to switch to a comparable plan with Verizon. I would happily pay an extra $10 a month to keep the plan I have even without additional data.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Ok, well I think the point I was trying to make was missed here.  First off, if that many people are upset about it, then maybe consider changing the process in which bills are increased. Notice from my post that I did not really care about the cost increase. It’s just the manner at which it was done that was upsetting. In terms of upgrading my service, it was actually indeed upgraded. It shows in my bill (screen shot attached) that I was upgraded from choice I to choice II, and the representative on the phone also confirmed that this was an upgrade. Let me just reiterate again that what’s upsetting is not about a bill increase; it’s about a non consented upgrade. And just because AT&T has it written in the fine print in their booklet does not make the consumer feel any different; it still is ethically wrong.

E11768E8-28B2-4D99-9515-214EAE489BF1.jpeg

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.