Need help understanding your bill?
Jkmedeles's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, January 19th, 2019 10:41 PM

Why cant I split off my ex boyfriends account when I have a no contact protection order?

I have a no contact protection order on my ex boyfriend and I cant get my line seperate from his without him releasing the line. I'm so frustrated and have been on the phone so much already. Is there some way around this or do I just need to find a new phone provider?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

The account owner owns the number. Your no contact order is irrelevant. Only the account owner can release it, regardless of whether you stay on ATT or move to a different carrier. Your ex is responsible for all charges so it makes no sense why he wouldn’t release it but you will probably just have to get a new number.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Jkmedeles wrote:

I have a no contact protection order on my ex boyfriend and I cant get my line seperate from his without him releasing the line. I'm so frustrated and have been on the phone so much already. Is there some way around this or do I just need to find a new phone provider?

It's his account. Sorry. They aren't going to release it to anyone who doesn't have the login / password or account number / PIN.

As long as the phone works, you can still use it with AT&T but you'll need a new number if you set up a new account.

I'd assume that you filling out a ToBR request would count as contact (via a 3rd party) but I can't state that for sure.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

The no contact is on him not me. If I wanted to contact him i would not
have gotten a no contact protection order.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

If you have a legal order of protection against him, you can get your line separated.  Talk to a domestic abuse counselor for help.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

This may be a state by state law:

https://engage.att.com/missouri/blog/?PostId=3432

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Where do I find a domestic abuse counselor? I have a crisis advocate that
helps me with everything with the domestic violence case Including helping
me with an attorney.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you. Oklahoma has something but it bas to be ordered by the judge but
thank you for your help.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Jkmedeles wrote:
The no contact is on him not me. If I wanted to contact him i would not have gotten a no contact protection order.

I understand that. Except now the issue is, that you do want need to contact him to get this resolved. 

BUT I do NOT want to tell you to contact him, even via AT&T, on the off chance it may somehow nullify the "no contact" that you have already have (so he doesn't say, "she contacted me, so it seems that I should be able to contact her"). This is something YOU need to verify first.

I would ask your crisis advocate about this. This can't be the first time that it has come up.

But again, technically it is their number. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@Jkmedeles

It sounds like you have the right people to ask already.  It doesn’t surprise me a judges order is required.    Good luck, be safe.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.