Need help understanding your bill?
Lauren0210's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, September 7th, 2016 3:55 PM

What can be done to avoid a Next plan?

I have been with AT&T for over 10 years, and have repeatedly got a new iphone at a  subsideized price and renewed my two year contract, only to find out AT&T does not offer contracts any longer. They offer the Next plan which is obviously a rip off unless you consistently change carriers or get new devices every year. Now in addition to paying the full price of the phone over the monthly installments, with Next, I would also pay the same service plan rate I have been paying -- a rate that was designed to work with subsidized phones. It is basic math, I either have to pay an extra $600 to $700, or switch to a different carrier that offer subsudeized phones and contracts. Is anyone else completely irate? Any advice?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Lauren0210 It's really not that bad, and in some cases it's better.

If you get rid of your old minute plan, your plan should drop in price.  You're not paying $199 down for your new cell phone so spread out over 2 years that's $8 a month extra you have.

Many people figure they save $15-$20 a line on the new plans (especially when you have more than 1 line).  Let's say $18.75 over 24 months, that's $450 plus the $199 you used to put down and you're at $649, the exact price of a smart phone.  You can argue a few dollars in either direction but it's still in the range of before.  And if you're buying cheaper phones, you're saving a lot!!

Every month after that when you don't upgrade you're saving money. In the old plans you just kept paying that hidden subsidy...

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution". This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@Lauren0210 wrote:

I have been with AT&T for over 10 years, and have repeatedly got a new iphone at a  subsideized price and renewed my two year contract, only to find out AT&T does not offer contracts any longer. They offer the Next plan which is obviously a rip off unless you consistently change carriers or get new devices every year. Now in addition to paying the full price of the phone over the monthly installments, with Next, I would also pay the same service plan rate I have been paying -- a rate that was designed to work with subsidized phones. It is basic math, I either have to pay an extra $600 to $700, or switch to a different carrier that offer subsudeized phones and contracts. Is anyone else completely irate? Any advice?

@Lauren0210

where you going to go?  All carriers have killed off contracts even sprint.

My next question is what rate plan are you on?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

@Gary LThank you! I found your repsonse to defintely be food for thought. One concern I have with abandoning my plan is that I am "grandfathered" in for unlimited data. I only pay about $85.00 a month so I am hoping that my  options will be comparable. Initially, I was very opposed to doing away with my plan, but you have definitely given me more to think about.

Thanks again!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 Verizon is offering a 2 year contract with a 6S for $200.00 through Best Buy. I believe Sprint does as well (but I wouldn't consider Sprint). I have had a number of friends that are pleased with Verizon's service so I feel that is viable option.

I am currently on the 450 minute plan with unlimited text, and "grandfathered" unlimited data. I pay approximately $85.00 a month. So for me to continue with AT&T, my monthly cost including new phone would need to stay under $100.00 per month and provide me with the same service.

I guess what I find incredibly frustrating is that I feel AT&T is eliminating options for me. I am the consumer that buys a phone, sticks with my plan because I am grandfathered in for unlimited data, and doesn't buy another phone for 2 1/2 to 3 years. I haven't ever even considered switching carriers prior to now. I don't need to worry about breaking a contract or upgrading my device every year. @Gary L has given me something to look into with getting rid of my plan, but I am still concerned that it will still be either an increase in price or a loss of unlimited data.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@Lauren0210

As mentioned all carriers stopped offering contract sales.  With phones varying so widely in cost, it is more fair to offer service only, so that each customer can buy a phone they can afford and keep costs low.  There are many good phones that are under $200 total retail.

A single line on the new unlimited plan pays $100 plus tax for service only.  They just also pay full price for their phones.   The new plan is encumbered by a requirement to have ATT TV service as well.

That makes your $85 plan a good deal that can't be matched by coverage, price or features by any currently offered plan.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@Lauren0210 wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76 Verizon is offering a 2 year contract with a 6S for $200.00 through Best Buy. I believe Sprint does as well (but I wouldn't consider Sprint). I have had a number of friends that are pleased with Verizon's service so I feel that is viable option.

I am currently on the 450 minute plan with unlimited text, and "grandfathered" unlimited data. I pay approximately $85.00 a month. So for me to continue with AT&T, my monthly cost including new phone would need to stay under $100.00 per month and provide me with the same service.

I guess what I find incredibly frustrating is that I feel AT&T is eliminating options for me. I am the consumer that buys a phone, sticks with my plan because I am grandfathered in for unlimited data, and doesn't buy another phone for 2 1/2 to 3 years. I haven't ever even considered switching carriers prior to now. I don't need to worry about breaking a contract or upgrading my device every year. @Gary L has given me something to look into with getting rid of my plan, but I am still concerned that it will still be either an increase in price or a loss of unlimited data.

@Lauren0210

Your right verizons contract with best buy states they have to allow 2 year contracts till the end of 2016.  But its with a trade off.  You pay 199 for the phone plus tax and a 45 activation fee plus a extra 20 a month for having a contract phone.  So that makes your new iphone cost 724 dollars when its a 649 dollar phone without any taxes.  So you as a consumer have to decided how much you wish to pay for your new phone.

verizonsub.PNGverizonpay.PNG

2 Attachments

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@Lauren0210

I am also looking at Verizon now, due to degrading ATT service in my area.  The contracts at Best Buy do have the notation that "plan restrictions apply".   What it means is only plans that still allow contracts can upgrade at a discount.

As a new Verizon customer, the plans that allow contracts are not available.  (Not even if you switch at Best Buy)

Existing Verizon customers on  More Everything or older plans can still use a contract upgrade.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40

oh it will go thru...  I just tried it online then canceled the order.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Lauren0210 wrote:

@Gary LThank you! I found your repsonse to defintely be food for thought. One concern I have with abandoning my plan is that I am "grandfathered" in for unlimited data. I only pay about $85.00 a month so I am hoping that my  options will be comparable. Initially, I was very opposed to doing away with my plan, but you have definitely given me more to think about.

I was rarely using more than 5GB, generally closer to 3GB but I wouldn't let go of that unlimited plan.  BUT I really wanted to tether.  

As it turns out, we're paying a little less (even if you add $17.50 * 3 lines) to our plan and everyone has more data, we share the pool (which generally means more data for me!), and the person who used to only have 200MB is ecstatic!  

Actually, on top of that I pay for another 10GB of data which gets me enough for tethering which is what I wanted (actually more data than I hoped for for the price).

Plus, I have free Canada roaming now too; I'm often near the border since Michigan is both south, west and north of Canada.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

RIP OFF. At&t found a way to legally scam people out of their money. They offer terrible service at high cost and then charge you full price for a phone. I was dumb enough to do this. If you pay all the installments you end up with a total of 30 payments which is 6 mos longer than the previous 2 year contracts offered which in return makes at&t even more money. This is probably how they are able to pay for directv which is another rip off. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.