Need help understanding your bill?
Christina.O's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, February 11th, 2019 3:15 PM

Want to transfer from family plan with other carrier to At&T by myself.

Hi, so my boyfriend and I want to get a joint phone plan together. We are both currently on our parents’ plans. My family is already with At&T so I understand all the transfer of billing responsibility for me. However he is transferring from a plan with his dad at T-mobile. He plans to keep the same phone number. I have already checked and it says the phone number qualifies to be transferred. My question is: how will he go about doing this since his dad is the account owner? His dad will still be staying with T-mobile. Everywhere I saw it says that your service will automatically be cancelled with the other company when they agree to transfer the phone number. Just wondering if it will be an issue since he isn’t transferring from an account he was the owner of, so part of that account will still need to be active. Or just let me know if this is more of an issue that T-mobile will have to deal with! Thank you. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Christina.O wrote:

Hi, so my boyfriend and I want to get a joint phone plan together. We are both currently on our parents’ plans. My family is already with At&T so I understand all the transfer of billing responsibility for me. However he is transferring from a plan with his dad at T-mobile. He plans to keep the same phone number. I have already checked and it says the phone number qualifies to be transferred. My question is: how will he go about doing this since his dad is the account owner? His dad will still be staying with T-mobile. Everywhere I saw it says that your service will automatically be cancelled with the other company when they agree to transfer the phone number. Just wondering if it will be an issue since he isn’t transferring from an account he was the owner of, so part of that account will still need to be active. Or just let me know if this is more of an issue that T-mobile will have to deal with! Thank you. 

He'll need to know the T-Mobile account PIN in order to initiate the port. 

"Service will automatically be cancelled" refers only to the line being ported. Anything else on the account won't be cancelled. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.