For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
RyZakDVL's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, June 28th, 2017 1:00 PM

Want to split from family plan

I've been on my father's Family Plan since 2002. My parents are having trouble keeping up with bills so I want to cut my phone off their plan and merge it with my wife's AT&T account. Is this possible and how can I go about doing this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

7 years ago

@RyZakDVL. This is an article on how to transfer billing responsibility. Both parties have to complete the process. 

https://www.att.com/tobr/tobrHomePage.rt

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

7 years ago

If no money is owed on the phone its as simple as your wife and yourself going to an at&t store, tell them what you are doing, im assuming you want to keep the number, tell them you want to port the number over, also your parents can cancel your phone off their account with just a phone call or online.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Constructive You can't "port" a number from one ATT account to another. You must go through the Transfer of Billing Responsibility process.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblasteryou sir are correct the Transfer of Billing Responsibility is what we did with my sons phone when we booted him off of our plan, the at&t store rep kept saying he was porting the number over to the new account which he was obviously incorrect. In either case its a very simple procedure granted everyone involved is standing in the store

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Constructive wrote:

@sandblasteryou sir are correct the Transfer of Billing Responsibility is what we did with my sons phone when we booted him off of our plan, the at&t store rep kept saying he was porting the number over to the new account which he was obviously incorrect. In either case its a very simple procedure granted everyone involved is standing in the store

You don't even need to stand in the store. Everything can be done online. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I just got kicked out of the house and my mom has the phone plan set up with everyone under her. I was wondering if there was a way to leave her plan and make my own with out having to talk to her and everything .

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Joshya18 wrote:

I just got kicked out of the house and my mom has the phone plan set up with everyone under her. I was wondering if there was a way to leave her plan and make my own with out having to talk to her and everything .

@Joshya18 wrote:

Unfortunately, there isn't. She has to agree to release your line from your account and initiate the process online. If she doesn't cancel your service or blacklist your phone, you can stay on her plan as she's responsible for the billing. You might want to have a back up plan of a getting a prepaid phone and new phone number in case she does block you from using the old number/device.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

How does it work if money is still owed on one phone and you also have a "free" phone?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.