Need help understanding your bill?
ImmaSSJ's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, January 25th, 2013 8:50 PM

Usb Tethering and Unlimited Data Plan

Hello I have an unlimited data plan on my phone. I have been using PdaNet to tether my phones network connection to provide an internet connection to my laptop via USB. What I am wondering is if I am doing this will I see some sort of data charge even though it's unlimited?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Greenmanz wrote:

I have a smart phone that is cyanogenmoded and i've explained that to the att rep i've talked to. Again I've always been told tethering is alright as long as it isnt abused on the unlimited plan.

I would suggest that you review the terms of service and the fair use policy. If they detect that you are tethering on a plan that does not it is not allowed on they can and will automaticly switch to the 5GB tethering plan, pretty much zero tolerence and you won.t get your discontinued plan back

Guru

• 

294 Messages

11 years ago

Since you have CM on your phone, i'm sure you're familiar with the xda forums. There are many reports where customers get a notification if they keep tethering they will lose the unlimited data plan. After the warning, they lose it. This of course depends on how ATT traces it. I've tethered before on my unlimited data plan, but that was only for work when my internet was down. The more you use it, the more you're likely to be caught. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I personally don't get why can't you tether if you get throttled after reaching cap anyways

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@vladi_ak wrote:
I personally don't get why can't you tether if you get throttled after reaching cap anyways

even back when the unlimited plan was avaialbe you never could tethered, you purchased an additional tethering plan that was capped at 5GB, now that the unlimited plan is discontinued they wil not add functionality.

If you want to terther and feel that 3GB is enough convert to a 3GB mobile share plan - unlimited voice, text, and the ability to hotpsot and tether.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

@kdfederer wrote:
Tethering is not allowed on the unlimited data plan. The only plans that allow tethering are the 5gb $50/month data plan or the mobile share data plans.

i've never understood this.  Bits are bits.  It doesn't matter if they travel to my phone or to my computer THROUGH my phone.  It's the SAME bits.

If I have an app on my phone and on my computer that are getting my Twitter updates, they are both using the same Twitter API to get the data.  The data comes back (XML or JSON) the same way! It's the same exact bits!  AT&T should NOT get to charge me TWICE for those same bits.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@waynelroberts wrote:

@kdfederer wrote:
Tethering is not allowed on the unlimited data plan. The only plans that allow tethering are the 5gb $50/month data plan or the mobile share data plans.

i've never understood this.  Bits are bits.  It doesn't matter if they travel to my phone or to my computer THROUGH my phone.  It's the SAME bits.

If I have an app on my phone and on my computer that are getting my Twitter updates, they are both using the same Twitter API to get the data.  The data comes back (XML or JSON) the same way! It's the same exact bits!  AT&T should NOT get to charge me TWICE for those same bits.

carriers make the rules for useage on their infrastructure, does not matter what the data packet type is, their rules. Tethering never was avaialbe on the unlimited plan even when it was active, it was always a add on feature to the unlimited plan that had a cap with overages. Besides the discontinued unlimited plan has a speed cap of 3gb for 3g and 5gb for lte, after that the data transfer speed is cut back to below edge speeds. drop the unlimited plan, go to mobile share and you can tether to your hearts conent or your checkbooks limited

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I pray google come up with their data plan network sooner, then you guys (ATT & Verizon etc.,) will come beg for customers. At that time you will realize your mistake by loosing loyalty of your customer. I already moved my unlimited voice plan to minium 550 minutes and start using vonage app to make voice calls over LTE. I wouldn't have done that until I lost my loyalty towards ATT. I had everything unlimited since 2007. Just because I can't tether (you can give any justification - that it was not included in the original plan), made me mad against ATT. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

What is the URL of the "fair use policy"?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

8 years ago

Acceptable use policy

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.aup.html

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

The reverse-engineering clause of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act explicitly permits "transfer of data between devices" (f) Reverse Engineering.— (1) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a)(1)(A), a person who has lawfully obtained the right to use a copy of a computer program may circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a particular portion of that program for the sole purpose of identifying and analyzing those elements of the program that are necessary to achieve interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs, and that have not previously been readily available to the person engaging in the circumvention, to the extent any such acts of identification and analysis do not constitute infringement under this title. (2) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsections (a)(2) and (b), a person may develop and employ technological means to circumvent a technological measure, or to circumvent protection afforded by a technological measure, in order to enable the identification and analysis under paragraph (1), or for the purpose of enabling interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs, if such means are necessary to achieve such interoperability, to the extent that doing so does not constitute infringement under this title. (3) The information acquired through the acts permitted under paragraph (1), and the means permitted under paragraph (2), may be made available to others if the person referred to in paragraph (1) or (2), as the case may be, provides such information or means solely for the purpose of enabling interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs, and to the extent that doing so does not constitute infringement under this title or violate applicable law other than this section. (4) For purposes of this subsection, the term 「interoperability」 means the ability of computer programs to exchange information, and of such programs mutually to use the information which has been exchanged
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.