Need help understanding your bill?
ImmaSSJ's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, January 25th, 2013 8:50 PM

Usb Tethering and Unlimited Data Plan

Hello I have an unlimited data plan on my phone. I have been using PdaNet to tether my phones network connection to provide an internet connection to my laptop via USB. What I am wondering is if I am doing this will I see some sort of data charge even though it's unlimited?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

121 Messages

11 years ago

There is no sort of charge or extra fees.
Although, I want to just give you a heads up as a peer:
If AT&T notices that you're tethering, they can (if they want to) put you on a limited plan with or without notice.
on Unlimited data plans, they will slow down the data if you go over 3GB of data.

Honestly, if you're using PDAnet without any issues, I'd say continue on! 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

11 years ago

Tethering is not allowed on the unlimited data plan. The only plans that allow tethering are the 5gb $50/month data plan or the mobile share data plans.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@christopherjones wrote:
There is no sort of charge or extra fees.
Although, I want to just give you a heads up as a peer:
If AT&T notices that you're tethering, they can (if they want to) put you on a limited plan with or without notice.
on Unlimited data plans, they will slow down the data if you go over 3GB of data.

Honestly, if you're using PDAnet without any issues, I'd say continue on! 🙂

Incorrect - on your statement "they can (if they want to)" if they detect tethering they will switch yuo to the 5GB tethering plan automaticly

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

The funny thing is when I called att and asked about Internet tethering she told me that since I have the unlimited plan it won't be a problem. I hope they really do record there calls for quality assurance.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Jbrey411 wrote:
The funny thing is when I called att and asked about Internet tethering she told me that since I have the unlimited plan it won't be a problem. I hope they really do record there calls for quality assurance.

you recieved bad information - tethering has never been allowed on the unlimited plan even back to where it was available as a feature. You tether you will be changed to the 5GB plan with hotpsot and tethering, pretty good chance you will not be allowed back to the old plan.

recording the call means nothing, a csr cannot alter company policy and the switch over is done automaticly by the system when it detects the violation of the terms of service in effect for your service

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Sounds like ATT needs to retrain the people.. Data is Data i wish ATT could come up with one good reason why they need to police tethering other than corporate Greed.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Greenmanz wrote:

Sounds like ATT needs to retrain the people.. Data is Data i wish ATT could come up with one good reason why they need to police tethering other than corporate Greed.

there never was a option to tether or hotspot on the discontinued unlimited data plan. Verizion was the same way when they had unlimited data. Their network infrastructure, their rules.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I've called ATT on several different occasions to check my limitations on my tethering with unlimited and everytime (at least 6 with 6 different reps) i've been told its perfectly ok. So im being told that all 6 of these reps are wrong and although someone representing ATT told me one thing I can be punished for doing what I was told was okay?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@Greenmanz wrote:

I've called ATT on several different occasions to check my limitations on my tethering with unlimited and everytime (at least 6 with 6 different reps) i've been told its perfectly ok. So im being told that all 6 of these reps are wrong and although someone representing ATT told me one thing I can be punished for doing what I was told was okay?

Do you have the unlimited data plan for a smartphone or do you have the unlimited data plan for a non-smart phone? As Wingrider said, tethering has never been allowed on the smartphone unlimited plan and won't even work unless you've somehow hacked or jailbroken your smartphone to make it work. However, I've heard there is no such restriction with dumb phones and the non-smartphone unlimited data plan. If you happen to have a dumb phone that supports tethering, it will work.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I have a smart phone that is cyanogenmoded and i've explained that to the att rep i've talked to. Again I've always been told tethering is alright as long as it isnt abused on the unlimited plan.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.