Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Upgrade fee for iPhone 6

Contributor

Upgrade fee for iPhone 6

I am no longer under contract with AT&T so I don't understand why I have to pay $40 to "upgrade" to the iPhone 6. I can just take my business to Verizon or another carrier and not have to pay the $40. Is anyone else bothered by this unnecessary charge?

Message 1 of 85

Re: Upgrade fee for iPhone 6

So let me ask you this...why on earth would ATT try to charge me an "upgrade" fee when I buy a phone outright and bring it to ATT?  I was going to buy a contract free iPhone6s but noticed that I was going to be charged the $15 at checkout so I then changed the carrier from ATT to T-Mobile to see what would happen and, sure enough, no extra fees from T-Mobile.  It is the same phone and will be unlocked so it will work just fine on ATT's network.  Seems like ATT just wants to rip off their customers.  $15 multiplied by the millions of customers buying new iPhones == big bucks for ATT.

Message 46 of 85
ACE - Sage

if you buy the new iPhone at full retail you will not pay an upgrade fee.  Just sales tax (per your state laws) and the phone cost.

If you saw a $15 fee, it was because you selected Next installments.

And why are you angry about taking away a discount you didn't have until 2 years ago, and then ONLY because you had a line out of contract.

and upgrade fees are not new, but they did go up $5 for contracts.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 47 of 85

Nope...incorrect.  I am on a Next family plan and own my Galaxy S6 outright.  I just went to Apple's site and tried to order the contract free iPhone6S using my phone number and it is adding a "one-time upgrade fee" of $15.

Message 48 of 85
ACE - Sage

I just went through the process and came up with the same WRONG result.  There is no $15 fee.  The Apple website has it wrong.  I will give a heads up to powers that be....

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
image.jpg
Message 49 of 85
ACE - Sage

Notice sent.  I will see what happens through other purchase avenues.

Good catch!

Message 50 of 85
ACE - Sage

No $15 fee through ATT preorder.

No $15 fee from Best Buy preorder, but the price is $50 more (? I though Apple fixed the prices?)

Message 51 of 85
Contributor

Hello ATTDmitriyCM

I chose to pay it full. The full price of the iPhone. It said no contract commitment however still asking for $15 upgrade fee. It doesn't seem right to me since I didn't extend or get any discount from the full price iPhone 6s Plus. May I ask why?

Thanks,

Jill 

Tags (1)
Message 52 of 85
ACE - Sage

@Jillian14

I sent him the Apple website error.  It will be fixed ASAP.

Message 53 of 85

Any update on this?  The page is still showing a $15 "upgrade" fee.

Message 54 of 85

How do we get to the ATT higher ups and let them know we don't like how us long term customers are being treated? I want a new phone but I will not upgrade or do the next program until I have some rationale about why there is a $45 upgrade fee and a loss of my account discount if I get a new phone.

Message 55 of 85
Contributor

I guess the only way is to walk away and if enough do they will learn that keeping a customer is cheaper than getting us back. I left for a competitor pay less even after adding another line to our plan.

Message 56 of 85
ACE - Sage

@whssoccercoach

It's simple.   All customers are expected to pay for their own phones.  

If you look at the options, paying full retail has no fee and is the least expensive.

2 year contract is the most expensive.  The carriers want to stop 2 year contracts

If all carriers had their choice, we would buy phones at full price and they would have no responsibility for them.  

Message 57 of 85

If I buy my phone outright do I lose my line discount? 

Message 58 of 85
Tutor

The only way you lose your "discount" is if you purchase a phone with a two year contract.

Message 59 of 85

That would be fine if that is the case.  But it just feels like we are getting nickel and dime when they charge upgrade fees for off contract fully paid for phones and add things such as insurance without asking.  Time will tell if Apple's web site is wrong but its still up there a week later.

Message 60 of 85
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support