Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Upgrade fee for iPhone 6

Contributor

Upgrade fee for iPhone 6

I am no longer under contract with AT&T so I don't understand why I have to pay $40 to "upgrade" to the iPhone 6. I can just take my business to Verizon or another carrier and not have to pay the $40. Is anyone else bothered by this unnecessary charge?

Message 1 of 85
ACE - Sage

Re: Upgrade fee for iPhone 6

@whssoccercoach

So next time pay off the agreement and sell your phone on eBay.  

I have bought and sold several and iPhone hold their value so well, you should always sell rather than trade in.

Ive done well with android phones as well.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 76 of 85
Contributor

New Apple Store at UTC Mall in Sarasota. Priced IPhone 6+ and checked AT&T Mobility trade in discount. 

Apples trade in in was better. Apple swapped the SIM card. 

Long time AT&T customer, over six years.

Next bill from AT&T had the $40+ activation fee. I got no where in multiple phone calls.

Even sent E-mail to VP Customer Support. 

They REALLY know how to anger and irritate long time customers. 

Message 77 of 85
Contributor

Much more than that now. Just so everyone knows it is now 45.00 activation fee and a 25.00 upgrade fee for a total of 70.00 to upgrade your phone with AT&T. I just found that out the hard way. 

Message 78 of 85
ACE - Expert

@DDeihl You were seriously charged both fees? It should be one or the other, not both. The activation fee is for new lines. You should be able to get that charge reversed or credited.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 79 of 85
Contributor

I have paper work from Sam's saying the activation fee was waived and then a 25.00 upgrade fee was charged on my bill. Got the Note 8 during the Sam's promo where they gave the giftcard, waived the fees and the Samsung gift of charge and card or the camera. When I contacted AT&T about it was told OK about a dozen times as well as I should have known about the charges. 

Message 80 of 85
Highlighted
Contributor

Sorry yes this is a Samsung phone not iphone but it was about the upgrade fees

Message 81 of 85
ACE - Master

@DDeihl wrote:

I have paper work from Sam's saying the activation fee was waived and then a 25.00 upgrade fee was charged on my bill. Got the Note 8 during the Sam's promo where they gave the giftcard, waived the fees and the Samsung gift of charge and card or the camera. When I contacted AT&T about it was told OK about a dozen times as well as I should have known about the charges. 

It sounds like the Sam's employee was sneaky with their words. The activation fee was waived, perhaps, but it was $0, since you weren't activating a new line (I assume). The $25 upgrade fee was rightly charged, and nothing had been mentioned about it. 

Message 82 of 85
Tutor

The problem with the Upgrade Fee is that it is not disclosed at the time of the order.  The only fee that was disclosed was the activation fee. I have filed a complaint with the FCC about the undisclosed fee and I would suggest everyone else do the same.

Message 83 of 85
ACE - Sage

@jsavitt

You do not pay both.  Either it’s an upgrade, or a new line activation. I have done BOTH. 

Online order for tablet included $45 activation fee notice.

In store upgrade includes upgrade fee right on your Next installment or sales slip.

Its also on ever sales page on ATT.com.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 84 of 85
Tutor

I'm happy that it was all disclosed up front for you but if you read enough
of the blogs, AT&T is not in the habit of openly disclosing their upgrade
fee at time of order.

Again, let's let the FCC investigate it.
Message 85 of 85
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support