Need help understanding your bill?
grasshopper51's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, September 12th, 2014 8:30 AM

Closed

Upgrade fee for iPhone 6

I am no longer under contract with AT&T so I don't understand why I have to pay $40 to "upgrade" to the iPhone 6. I can just take my business to Verizon or another carrier and not have to pay the $40. Is anyone else bothered by this unnecessary charge?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

@scabrera22

Thanks for putting it all in print as a former insider.

We repeat portions of this information constantly.

While you are at it, you might want to read the post of 2 on the upcoming price increase of the unlimited data plan.  I am not looking forward to the deluge of customers insisting they have a contract and therefore ATT can't change their price for unlimited data.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

shame on ATT, you always come up with some stupid fees to get more money out of your customers, even your loyal customers like us.it is so crazy you are spending tons of money to steal other providers customers but you , don' t even try to spend a dime to keep the customers you already have. i upgraded 2 phones last week and singed for 2years cotract, but you still went ahead charged me $90 for hidden not mentioned upgrade fees. shame on you for deceiving your customers. what goes around comes around i bet you that. plus your customer service is nothing but fake. they say managers are busy and they supposed to call bak that they never will. i just talked to the your rudest employees on the phone after kepting me the phone for nothing , wasting my time. 

the funny thing is next day you ask for useless survey to grade your employees rudeness and nothing happens!!!! big shame on you

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

ATT has been charging upgrade fees for 5 + years.  They have gone up from $30 to 40 to 45.  

If if you buy your phones with Next, no interest loan, you pay only $15.  If you buy at full price, on your own, you pay no upgrade fee.

Every other carrier charges some kind of upgrade fee and contract upgrades are always more.

I buy my phones full price on eBay and save a bundle.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

8 years ago

Well All,

I relented and got myself and daughter new phones. I handled my daughters through chat which seemed smooth. New phone came old one returned all good...well after 16 years here I should know better.

1. received a letter the old phone not returned. Well of course kept the tracking called customer care and of course sorry a mistake we have the phone. Ok good all set..well not so fast..

2. phone is returned to me in the mail saying it is the wrong phone...good i had chat emailed to me. Call customer care they say it is wrong imei number...I said look up chat on 12/17 with bernadette which he does and says yes that is different than what we show. If I had wrong imei dont you think bernadette would have said something? I said the number in the chat is the phone...he then discovers that the phone was replaced via warrranty and imei was never updated...well ok then he says I need chat to fix it he cant transfers me to chat after 20 mins with chat rep he says he cant fix and sends me back to customer care..I get angelou who spends 45 mins talking with warranty to figure out the same thing we knew. At the 1 hour 20 min mark i ask for a supervisor..which apparently they only have 1 of who is busy...she continues to help to no avail and at 1 hour 40 min mark I ask again for supervisor who is still busy. She then says she will resolve it by sending me a new label to ship it again...which was fine but should have happened an hour plus earlier...So I will make a 2nd trip to post office to ship again...

How about I am sorry you had to call us 3 times and spend 1:55 mins on the phone for a simple transactiion and now make a 2nd trip to the post office. 

A gesture of how about a small credit on your bill for all your trouble and time wasted might have been a reasonable thought after 16 years?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

@whssoccercoach

So next time pay off the agreement and sell your phone on eBay.  

I have bought and sold several and iPhone hold their value so well, you should always sell rather than trade in.

Ive done well with android phones as well.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

New Apple Store at UTC Mall in Sarasota. Priced IPhone 6+ and checked AT&T Mobility trade in discount. 

Apples trade in in was better. Apple swapped the SIM card. 

Long time AT&T customer, over six years.

Next bill from AT&T had the $40+ activation fee. I got no where in multiple phone calls.

Even sent E-mail to VP Customer Support. 

They REALLY know how to anger and irritate long time customers. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Much more than that now. Just so everyone knows it is now 45.00 activation fee and a 25.00 upgrade fee for a total of 70.00 to upgrade your phone with AT&T. I just found that out the hard way. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@DDeihl You were seriously charged both fees? It should be one or the other, not both. The activation fee is for new lines. You should be able to get that charge reversed or credited.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I have paper work from Sam's saying the activation fee was waived and then a 25.00 upgrade fee was charged on my bill. Got the Note 8 during the Sam's promo where they gave the giftcard, waived the fees and the Samsung gift of charge and card or the camera. When I contacted AT&T about it was told OK about a dozen times as well as I should have known about the charges. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Sorry yes this is a Samsung phone not iphone but it was about the upgrade fees

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.