Need help understanding your bill?
grasshopper51's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, September 12th, 2014 8:30 AM

Closed

Upgrade fee for iPhone 6

I am no longer under contract with AT&T so I don't understand why I have to pay $40 to "upgrade" to the iPhone 6. I can just take my business to Verizon or another carrier and not have to pay the $40. Is anyone else bothered by this unnecessary charge?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Hello ATTDmitriyCM

I chose to pay it full. The full price of the iPhone. It said no contract commitment however still asking for $15 upgrade fee. It doesn't seem right to me since I didn't extend or get any discount from the full price iPhone 6s Plus. May I ask why?

Thanks,

Jill 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

@Jillian14

I sent him the Apple website error.  It will be fixed ASAP.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Any update on this?  The page is still showing a $15 "upgrade" fee.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

9 years ago

How do we get to the ATT higher ups and let them know we don't like how us long term customers are being treated? I want a new phone but I will not upgrade or do the next program until I have some rationale about why there is a $45 upgrade fee and a loss of my account discount if I get a new phone.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I guess the only way is to walk away and if enough do they will learn that keeping a customer is cheaper than getting us back. I left for a competitor pay less even after adding another line to our plan.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

@whssoccercoach

It's simple.   All customers are expected to pay for their own phones.  

If you look at the options, paying full retail has no fee and is the least expensive.

2 year contract is the most expensive.  The carriers want to stop 2 year contracts

If all carriers had their choice, we would buy phones at full price and they would have no responsibility for them.  

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

9 years ago

If I buy my phone outright do I lose my line discount? 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

The only way you lose your "discount" is if you purchase a phone with a two year contract.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

That would be fine if that is the case.  But it just feels like we are getting nickel and dime when they charge upgrade fees for off contract fully paid for phones and add things such as insurance without asking.  Time will tell if Apple's web site is wrong but its still up there a week later.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

That's correct. You keep the discount and avoid the upgrade fee if you buy at full cost.

You can do so with Apple if you want to add Apple Care plus to your phone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.