Need help understanding your bill?
grasshopper51's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, September 12th, 2014 8:30 AM

Closed

Upgrade fee for iPhone 6

I am no longer under contract with AT&T so I don't understand why I have to pay $40 to "upgrade" to the iPhone 6. I can just take my business to Verizon or another carrier and not have to pay the $40. Is anyone else bothered by this unnecessary charge?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

AT&T's focus is fee income, not customer service.  

I was a new customer and I have excellent credit. I signed up for direct debit to pay my bill but didn't remember in this electronic age that somehow it still takes AT&T a full billing cycle to process a direct debit request.  My first payment was due April 10 and was not paid on time.  On April 17th I realized my error.  I called and asked them to waive the $5 late fee.  No way, they can't do that, too bad so sad, pay the full amount by May 10th. Okay.  No, wait a minute, here's a new twist.  We won't tell you but we'll disconnect your service four business days after you called us and then we'll collect a $40 reconnection charge!  No thanks, turn off my service.  I went to Sprint and I am glad to be done with AT&T.  By the way, Sprint set up my direct debit in 10 seconds flat and it will work on my first bill.  I bought a new phone from them too.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I have just had the same experience as many have spelt out here. I asked the sales person at Best Buy, three times, to confirm that my plan would not change and my rates would stay the same (since I was eligible for an upgrade), and on my first bill, there were all of the hidden fees, and increased rate. I couldn't believe it. I called and talked to a representative for half an hour. They would not fix the plan rate, which equated to $300 extra per year, per line upgraded. What a joke. We are now what ing for the new iPhone to come out in September, before we take our 5 lines to another carrier. I can't believe they allow such dishonesty in regards to their services, and that they would push away decade old customers.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

9 years ago

I am just at a loss for what to do. I have always liked ATT but with news today about the 100 million dollar fine and these increased costs for a new phone at what point do you switch service even after 17-18 years? A new T-mobile opened in walking distance of my work I going to stop by tomorrow. Anyone have an experience with them?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

T-Mobile has limited service areas.
T-Mobile was the first carrier to insist all customers buy their own phones.

The fact is, you have always paid for your phone. The cost has been buried in your line fee since you first got a phone.
The cost of purchasing a phone with Next is the same as with a 2 year contract (old way)

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I am very disappointed as well I been with at&t for a very long time and they keep giving you these outrageous charges that they don't tell you about ,my bill is always $300 a month for 5 phones ,when I use to pay $170 for 5 phones , the people are very rude and they never give you a discount or try to help you ,am really want to switch carriers any suggestions?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

@lillybug1973

You can reduce your bill by not buying $1,000 new phones. All carriers now insist customers buy their own phones. The new plans are ala'carte, data, line fee and phone costs can be determined by the customer to make their bill affordable.
If you had 10 GBS of data for $100 and 5 lines out of contract at $15 each, your bill before tax would be $175.
The additional $125 is the monthly cost for new phones in a contract or with Next installments.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

@ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

A one time upgrade fee is only charged when you upgrade with a discount and a two year contract. There is no upgrade fee if you purchase your phone using the AT&T Next option.

Absolutely incorrect. I have satisfied my Next installments, just pre-ordered the 6s, selected Next24 and was charged a $45 tax fee. I am leaving if this isn't sorted out quickly.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

@lndn22 wrote:

@ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

A one time upgrade fee is only charged when you upgrade with a discount and a two year contract. There is no upgrade fee if you purchase your phone using the AT&T Next option.

Absolutely incorrect. I have satisfied my Next installments, just pre-ordered the 6s, selected Next24 and was charged a $45 tax fee. I am leaving if this isn't sorted out quickly.

Sounds like you're having to pay the sales tax on the phone,  which is not AT&T's fault.   Every carrier and store you go to will charge you that same $45 because your state and local governments (assuming you're in the US) require that it be collected at the time of purchase.  

Even if you got a two-year contract, you'd still have to pay sales tax on at least the subsized price. Some areas require sales tax to be calculated on full retail price regarless of what the discounted price is.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

9 years ago

@lndn22

A user above is correct, there is a sales tax that needs to paid up front with AT&T Next. Also, the answer you're quoting from me is older and the policy has changed since then. An updates information is that there is a one time $15 upgrade fee with AT&T Next vs $45 with a 2 year contract.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

@lndn22

A user above is correct, there is a sales tax that needs to paid up front with AT&T Next. Also, the answer you're quoting from me is older and the policy has changed since then. An updates information is that there is a one time $15 upgrade fee with AT&T Next vs $45 with a 2 year contract.

Yes, I am aware of your post from 2014. Others have been responding to this thread in 2015. It is evidently a topic which is still relevant. Just to respond, respectively - as Apple revealed it's new iPhone Upgrade Program, I phoned Customer Service 3 days ago to go over my options and the run-down of charges I needed to evaluate and compare. I spent a considerable amount of time with the AT&T representative as I wanted to ensure my account was in order, to obtain info available about the pre-ordering procedure, and any monies I would be expected to pay up front when reserving the new model, if any. The point of the call was to not encounter any suprises and to confirm my account was up to date. I was told there would be no extra fees to the Next customer during preordering.
ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

@lndn22

An updates information is that there is a one time $15 upgrade fee with AT&T Next vs $45 with a 2 year contract.

...Interesting. I also was not told about the $15 upgrade fee. The inconsistencies are frustrating and that is why I reached out to AT&T to clarify. When I pre-ordered, my account showed my old address from a year ago as well...

ryan_975 wrote:

Sounds like you're having to pay the sales tax on the phone,  which is not AT&T's fault.   Every carrier and store you go to will charge you that same $45 because your state and local governments (assuming you're in the US) require that it be collected at the time of purchase. 

I am clear with the tax responsibility; however, again ~ the presentation of the charges after a customer takes the time to inquire to the coporation about their account and financial expectations in a transaction is why I had a gripe. It is disclosing information and prompts people to become irritated; hence, my rant. A bit of a tricky move... I expected the tax on my first bill. Not encouraging for customers to have confidence in their wireless carrier.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.