Need help understanding your bill?
noehlrich's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, May 7th, 2014 9:19 PM

Unsatisfied customer who was lied to by a salesperson when signing up for the NEXT program

I went into an AT&T retailer towards the end of the month of Feburary 2014 looking for some help in filing an insurance claim on the phone that I had at the time.  I had about 10 months left of my contract and was planning on leaving AT&T at the end of my contract to join a family member on a plan with Verizon solely for financial reasons.  When I was speaking to the salesperson they told me about the Next program and how I could get a new phone, zero money down, more data, no contract and no pentalties when leaving at anytime for about $5-$10 more per month than what I was previously paying.  So lets start there. With my 2-year contract I was paying roughly $95 per month for unlimited talk and text and 3 gb of data.  This salesperson told me I could have all of these great things and 4 gb of data for 5-10 more per month.  I felt this was too good to be true so I spoke with this person for over an hour trying to decide if I shoul do this or just pay the $100 deductible on my current phone and live out my contract.  

I asked many questions such as how much exactly will my bill be and they wrote out that it would be $5-$10 more even with the installment payment needed for the new phone.  So that sounded good to me.  I asked about ending the next program any time I wanted and even said to them that I planned on leaving ATT at the end of the year for Verizon.  I asked if there were any cancellation fees or anything that I would have to pay if I decided to leave the next program in 1, 2 or 10 months for example.  They told me that I would have to pay nothing and that I could end it anytime I wanted and that as long as the phone is in perfect condition I would just hand the phone back in.  So I then asked if this program was just as if I was "renting" or "leasing" the phone and they answered with yes. After all of this information given to me I decided to give it a try thinking I could actually end it whenever I wanted without any penalties.  

My first monthy bill came and it was the same as my original plan's bill, roughly $95.  The next month's bill that actually had all of my new plan's charges on it came and it was $135. Obviously I was confused and unable.  I called customer service and explained my situation and spoke to a manager.  They were very nice and helpful and gave me a $40 credit and lowered my data to 2 gb to drop it back to $95 about. They actually told me that sometimes salespeople will "say anything to get someone to sign a plan."  That is terrible.  I then wanted to just get out of my plan and when I said I wanted to cancell they told me I would have to pay the remainding balance of the phone, the full retail price which came to be something around $600.  I was shocked.  I was told in person that if I wanted to cancell that I would not have to pay anything.  I was explained on the phone that if I wanted to cancell before the phone was paid off that I had to pay the remainding balance because I was purchasing the phone.  I pleaded with customer service to just let me hand the phone in and leave and they would not help me.  So I decided fine, I'll live out this contract with less data then I had before and get out of ATT whenever the phone was paid off.

But then I had another bill that was $109.  Apparntely my 2 gb plan was not $95 like I was told again and actually added up to $109 becuase it wasn't the newest 2 gb plan.  So I had to have that swithed again but they would not credit me at all this time.   

I went back to the store that signed me up and explained to the manager my sistuation and how their salesperson mislead me and lied to me about the plan.  He said he was sorry but there is nothing he can do.

Basically I just wanted to get this out there and show my story and how upset I am.  Lieing to customers to sign up for something is not only wrong, immoral, probably illeagal too.  All I want to do is end my contract with ATT.  My phone is in mint condition and I have over $100 of installment payments paid towards it.  I would love to be able to give the phone back, att can keep that $100 and let me go. But they won't.  

I am very dissapointed with this company and I will never refer anyone to sign up with ATT.

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, noehlrich!

Thanks for posting. I'm so sorry to hear you were misinformed. I would be happy to forward your comments, so if you have any more information about the store you visited and the rep you spoke to, please let me know via private message.

We would certainly hate to see you go, and we would appreciate the opportunity to investigate further, so please click here to send us a private message. In your message, please include your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, please feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I did send a private message as well already. Not to you so I will do that as well.  I want nothing more then to be able to end my time with ATT

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.