Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Unlimited data plan increase by $5 in March and early termination fee

Highlighted
Contributor

Unlimited data plan increase by $5 in March and early termination fee

I got a notice that there will be an increase in the unlimited data plan by $5 per month in March, 2017. The notice states that if I choose to cancel my unlimited data plan and I am under a two-year service contract, AT&T will waive the early termination fee: Just cancel your unlimited data plan line within 60 days after the price increase first appears on your bill.

My question is: Can I cancel right away (January, 2017) and get the eratly termination fee waived?

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by henric
‎01-20-2017 4:48 PM

Don't cancel your unlimited plan until AFTER the price increase first appears on your bill !!!

@henric wrote:

I got a notice that there will be an increase in the unlimited data plan by $5 per month in March, 2017. The notice states that if I choose to cancel my unlimited data plan and I am under a two-year service contract, AT&T will waive the early termination fee: Just cancel your unlimited data plan line within 60 days after the price increase first appears on your bill.

My question is: Can I cancel right away (January, 2017) and get the eratly termination fee waived?

No, it says it right there, AFTER it appears on your bill...

REMINDER: If you want to use your phone after you switch, you can't unlock until after you pay final bill, you don't get final bill until several weeks until after you leave. See the problem?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS.

1. Wait until near the end of your billing period. They DO NOT prorate your last month.
  2. Port to Cricket (Locked AT&T phone will work there).
  3. Pay bill
  4. Unlock phone
  5. Port to whomever you want to be with.
  6. Smiley Happy

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 9
Tutor

Re: Don't cancel your unlimited plan until AFTER the price increase first appears on your bill !!!

I called them 1st to confirm  that i will have no cancelation fee. The lady said to call back on Feb 14 to cancel.  After I hung up I started the process of finding a differnt carrier. I just cancelled yesterday so they lied to me 

Message 3 of 9
Tutor

Re: Don't cancel your unlimited plan until AFTER the price increase first appears on your bill !!!

I got confirmation from them prior that it was ok to cancel

Message 4 of 9
ACE - Expert

@mimiwang As I said above, the letter says:

Should you decide to cancel your wireless service because of the $5/mo. increase, we will waive the early termination fees (ETFs) for the lines impacted by the price increase, so long as you cancel within 60 days AFTER the price increase first APPEARS on your bill.

From https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1147952

When in doubt, always go with what is is WRITING.

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 9

Thats what they do best : LIE.

Message 6 of 9
ACE - Expert

@jessrandall wrote:

Thats what they do best : LIE.

Do you actually read the posts that you're replying to?

Message 7 of 9

Don’t really care. ATT is an awful company that has literally stolen money from me.
Message 8 of 9
ACE - Expert

@jessrandall wrote:
ATT is an awful company that has literally stolen money from me.

You need to file a police report.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support