Need help understanding your bill?
KGLE's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, February 10th, 2012 1:33 PM

Unlimited data- at&t hotspot

I'm brand new to AT&T...just left Sprint after 5 years a couple days ago! Trying to clarify some things...

From what I understand, in addition to the 3GB I pay for a month, I have unlimited wifi access, but everything I keep reading mentions it is only in AT&T hotspots. This is where the clarification is needed. I have access to wifi at work and was planning on just turning off data during the day and sticking with wifi. It's not labeled as an AT&T location. Is the unlimited data ONLY in their hotspots or is it anywhere I can connect with wifi (work, home, etc)?

Sorry for the asinine questions, I was pretty spoiled with the unlimited data I had in the past!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@KGLE wrote:

I'm brand new to AT&T...just left Sprint after 5 years a couple days ago! Trying to clarify some things...

From what I understand, in addition to the 3GB I pay for a month, I have unlimited wifi access, but everything I keep reading mentions it is only in AT&T hotspots. This is where the clarification is needed. I have access to wifi at work and was planning on just turning off data during the day and sticking with wifi. It's not labeled as an AT&T location. Is the unlimited data ONLY in their hotspots or is it anywhere I can connect with wifi (work, home, etc)?

Sorry for the asinine questions, I was pretty spoiled with the unlimited data I had in the past!

If you conect to a wifi location - att or not your data usage is not counted against cellular, be aware that if wifi drops or you lose connection the phone will automaticly switch to cellular data, or if it goes into sleep mode. If this is a iphone visual voice mail is always transmitted over celluar data,so if you turn it off you will not get your voice mail. Having a att smartphone with data gives you access to the att hotpots that are in various businesses also.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Great, that is exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks!

Guru

• 

682 Messages

12 years ago

And when they're referring to AT&T wifi hotspots, they're distinguishing AT&T-branded hotspots (McDonald's, Starbucks, etc) from other companies wifi (T-Mobile, Boingo, Virgin, etc).

Scholar

• 

419 Messages

11 years ago

I don't believe I've ever been able to access one.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@timbuk2okc wrote:

I don't believe I've ever been able to access one.

connect to att wifi in commercial areas all tthe time, you do have to verify that you are a att customer though

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

i just got a new laptop from my son as a birthday gift and I have been using my hotspot on my iphone but I'm afraid that I'm using too much data so I would like to know how to bundle my wireless, internet with Direct TV. The issue I have is that the wireless is in my name and Direct TV is in my husband's name..

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I live in the country and there is no wifi.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

The unlimited data plan would not allow you to tether your iPhone.  The feature is blocked on the old and new unlimited plans.  

You might want to look at the new tiered plan to see if it provides more data for less money.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

Please note the change is line fee to $20 flat fee is for out of contract lines.  If you purchased a phone on a 2 year contract prior to 1/8/2016, you line fee is $40 until your contract expires.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.