Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Unlimited & More Premium Throttling??

Contributor

Unlimited & More Premium Throttling??

I have recently switched plans to the unlimited and more premium for our family. (10 lines)

On the AT&T app, I got an alert saying I’ve used all my unlimited data and will now be slowed to 128kbps. (2g)

I was told that they slowed speeds ONLY in AREAS WITH NETWORK CONGESTION. That’s not the same as throttling to 128kbps all the time

EDIT: Here is a screenshot of the plan details.

40DCB278-D825-47CB-BEC2-C03D592C2867.jpeg

Message 1 of 10
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by ccamaisa
‎08-24-2018 6:20 PM

Re: Unlimited & More Premium Throttling??

@ccamaisa wrote:

I have recently switched plans to the unlimited and more premium for our family. (10 lines)

On the AT&T app, I got an alert saying I’ve used all my unlimited data and will now be slowed to 128kbps. (2g)

I was told that they slowed speeds ONLY in AREAS WITH NETWORK CONGESTION. That’s not the same as throttling to 128kbps all the time

EDIT: Here is a screenshot of the plan details.

40DCB278-D825-47CB-BEC2-C03D592C2867.jpeg

Do you use hotspot? After 15GB, tethering is throttled to 128kbps, but the rest of the usage should not be. That speed is pretty much unusable; is that what you're experiencing?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 10
ACE - Sage

Look up your individual usage.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10
ACE - Expert

They do not slow your phone’s data to 128kbps but as @MicCheck noted, they will slow your hotspot to 128kbps once you hit the 15GB limit for hotspot. If you experience network reprioritization after using 22GB, you should still get 3G speeds and it should be temporary.  If your phone usage really does get slowed and it is not temporary, something is wrong. That should not happen.

Message 4 of 10
Contributor

No won’t turn on after I added another line

Message 5 of 10
ACE - Sage

@Buggyaranda wrote:

No won’t turn on after I added another line

Say what?   You post has no context.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 6 of 10
Mentor

Reading about throttling internet connections to 128kb ?  I see this kind of thing represented directly on the ATT product pages...   When I see this kind of thing I wonder what ATT is actually thinking...  128kb ?  To find a data rate like that you would literally have to be back in 1999...   Why is ATT going so far back into the past in order to attempt to control its network product throughput?  Did someone over there wake up one morning and say hey let's slow down connections so slow that they become useless and thus decrease the value of our own products and network...   How does an executive come to the idea that this is a good idea?  What this says to me and thousands of other customers is a simple thing. . .  ATT is so lost in its own quagmire of bigger and better network that they feel the need to go back in time and strangle their own stock prices. . . 

Message 7 of 10
ACE - Master

@reelstuff, AT&T is well aware 128 kbps is unusable. That’s the point. They want to limit hotspot usage or offer a product without overage charges, so they make it unusable after the limit is reached. 

AT&T knows what it is doing. 

Message 8 of 10
Employee

Slowing down hotspot data =/= data on the device itself. No one is entitled on a cellular network to connect their TVs, computer, game consoles and get free reign to use as much data as they want.

Only the cellular connected device is entitled to unlimited data. Hotspot isn't a replacement for wired home internet.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 10
ACE - Sage

@reelstuff wrote:

Reading about throttling internet connections to 128kb ?   You will see that whenever you see a capped service or plan.  If the plan says it is 8 GB then you get 8 GB, after that the service is throttled to essentially an un usable maximum of 128 kbps.   That throttle does not affect the unlimited data plan for the phone, it would affect the hotspot as the hotspots usually have a cap.    

I see this kind of thing represented directly on the ATT product pages...   thank goodness, there has been some guy all morning who didn’t or can’t read the website.  

When I see this kind of thing I wonder what ATT is actually thinking...  128kb ?    AT&T is thinking that if you wanted 8 GB and are paying for 8 GB than that’s all they’re going to give you. If you wanted more than 8 GB then you should buy a plan that gives you more than 8 GB, or unlimited plan 

To find a data rate like that you would literally have to be back in 1999...   it’s a capped plan.

Why is ATT going so far back into the past in order to attempt to control its network product throughput?   Because it’s a capped plan.  

Did someone over there wake up one morning and say hey let's slow down connections so slow that they become useless and thus decrease the value of our own products and network...   How does an executive come to the idea that this is a good idea?  What this says to me and thousands of other customers is a simple thing. . .  ATT is so lost in its own quagmire of bigger and better network that they feel the need to go back in time and strangle their own stock prices. . . 

You’re completely going around the point. You purchase a plan for 3 GB, or 9 GB, that is what you have purchased and paid for and that’s what you’re getting.  The plan is capped.  No overage charges.  

If you want an unlimited data plan without any slow down then you take an unlimited data plan. But if you choose a plan that has a number count on it then that’s what you get. 

I find it a little hard to believe that you don’t understand what that means. 

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support