For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
alicat9731's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, April 9th, 2015 4:33 AM

Unlimited Plan & Adding Device

I have two questions.

Question 1.  I am eligible for a new device on June 2, but I am grandfathered under an unlimited plan.  I've done the math.  Given my bandwidth usage, it's cheaper to stay on it rather than switching to one of the new plans and switch to Next.  But according to my account, my contract lapses on June 1.  Which, logically that makes sense, but I won't lose my unlimited plan by waiting will I?

Question 2.  My mom is considering dropping her GoPhone.  As I'm getting a new phone in a matter of weeks, I have toyed with the idea of giving her my iPhone 5 just to see if she'll stick with it.  I know at one point you could add lines to an unlimited account.  Can that be done and if so how much does that cost?  Really, she does not need a plan that costs more than $40ish a month with a new $300 phone on top of it.  The only reason she wants to get off the GoPhone is because apparently the phone is about shot and the whole idea is no longer cost effective (they ... changed the rules for it recently?  She insists it's making her put $25 a month in...goodness only knows, I don't know what was going on before now).  If I could give her my iPhone 5, which is perfectly fine, and pull her under my plan for $40 then that would work for now.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi there @alicat9731

I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have! Rest assured that unless you request or agree to switch plans, you will not lose your Unlimited Data plan. You will not be required to change plans to upgrade, nor will you lose it when your contract expires.

With regards to adding your Mom, she could certainly be added to your account, but would not be eligible to receive the Unlimited Data plan. A new individual plan would be required for her line if you were to stay with the Unlimited Data plan for your own line. An alternative option would be for your Mom to use your iPhone 5 on her GoPhone account if she wanted to stay with the same plan she has now.

I hope this helps!

Charise

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Charise,

I just want to clarify your answer. I just read the new AT&T agreement and it states that AT&T can transfer me to a tiered plan at will.

https://m.att.com/shopmobile/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement.html

• If you are an AT&T unlimited data plan customer, AT&T may migrate you from the unlimited data plan to a tiered data plan and bill you the appropriate monthly fees. We will provide you with notice of this change at least one billing cycle in advance either by a bill insert, email, text message, or other appropriate means; 

• AT&T may interrupt, suspend, cancel or terminate your wireless data services without advance notice. 

Unlimited Data Customers . If you are a grandfathered AT&T unlimited plan data service customer, you agree that "unlimited" means you pay a fixed monthly charge for wireless data service regardless of how much data you use. You further agree that "unlimited" does not mean that you can use AT&T's wireless data service in any way that you choose or for any prohibited activities, and that if you use your unlimited data plan in any manner that is prohibited, AT&T can limit, restrict, suspend or terminate your data service or switch you to a tiered data plan.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Hello,

I have a question about the unlimited data. I heard from an agent that the unlimited data grandfathered in is now 22gb, but unlike the previous 5gb per month prior to throttling the 22gb is for the entire family plan. So if we have 3 lines and they each use 10gb, we will ALL be throttled because we have hit 30gb. Is this correct? Does this vary from the new directv plan that offers unlimited data? Just trying to find out the correct answer because an AT&T rep told me that it is 22gb for the entire plan, similar to the family share plans. Please provide links or documentation as

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

It's 22 per line not the whole account

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

@tallguy2682

This is the kind of misinformation that shocks me.  It's wrong.

You unlimited plan is individual data, not family data.  Each unlimited line has 22 GBs of full speed data before being reprioritized (NOT throttled).  This is for both the old and new unlimited plans.

The difference is during peak, you may notice a slow down at any point in your data use - so will all customers.

You will defiantly notice a slowdown after 22 GBs during peak use hours, but if the network is not congested, your speed will still be LTE.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/unlimited-plan.html

http://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement.html#whatAreTheIntendedPurposesOfDataServ

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

So I have an unlimited plan. For Christmas I would like I get the Apple Watch series 3 and an iPad- both items being WiFi and cellular capable. My question is, do I have to pay any additional fees for each item or can I just use my existing cellular data plan for both items?

Thanks in advance!
Michelle

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

@Gondolfom wrote:
So I have an unlimited plan. For Christmas I would like I get the Apple Watch series 3 and an iPad- both items being WiFi and cellular capable. My question is, do I have to pay any additional fees for each item or can I just use my existing cellular data plan for both items?

Thanks in advance!
Michelle

@Gondolfom    Every cellular device on your existing plan has a “phone” number and related line access charge.   So will any new devices.   On the Unlimited plus or choice, tablets are $20 watches are $10.  Plus uncle sams portion on both of those amounts.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.