Need help understanding your bill?
dancnplay's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Friday, April 18th, 2014 5:30 PM

Unable to receive text messages from a specific phone number

Hi all!  It's been a while since I've been on the forum.

I have a situation where I can send text messages to a friend's specific phone number but I cannot receive text messages they send to me.  The friend is able to receive my messages, but I do not receive his responses.  We both are able to place and receive phone calls between our phone numbers.  Both of us are also on the AT&T network.

I even verified that I did not have his phone number blocked on my Smart Limits.  I have also added the phone number to my allow texts list on Smart Limits.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for your help!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

121 Messages

10 years ago

Be sure to check your Spam settings.
Something like in your Messaging -> Menu Button -> Settings -> Spam Settings

If you see your friend's phone number in there, then you won't be able to see their incoming text messages.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@dancnplay wrote:

Hi all!  It's been a while since I've been on the forum.

I have a situation where I can send text messages to a friend's specific phone number but I cannot receive text messages they send to me.  The friend is able to receive my messages, but I do not receive his responses.  We both are able to place and receive phone calls between our phone numbers.  Both of us are also on the AT&T network.

I even verified that I did not have his phone number blocked on my Smart Limits.  I have also added the phone number to my allow texts list on Smart Limits.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for your help!

did you just upgrade away from a iphone and does your friend have a iphone.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

Is your friend also using AT&T or are they on another carrier?  I know that there are some carriers who have issues exchanging SMS and MMS messages with AT&T customers.

Former Employee

• 

34 Messages

10 years ago

As you indicated both of you are using AT&T I would honestly contact customer service to troubleshoot the issue since you listed most of the main things that could be causing the issue from the phone settings. It's very possible there is something wrong in the network.

If possible call from a phone other than the cell phone that's having the issue, and if you can call while your friend is around that would be even better so they could jump in to his account to ensure there's nothing on his end that could be causing the issue. 🙂

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you so much for this suggestion! I looked in the Spam Messages folder and, voila, there they all were! I selected to restore all the messages and deactivated the Spam setting. My friend and I tested texting to each other, and I can now receive his messages.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

4 years ago

@largok  enjoy your brief membership on this forum

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

i am unable to receive text from few companies like credit card companies when they send text for confirmation. i am using 11 max pro

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.