Need help understanding your bill?
Mariebonheur's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 27th, 2018 2:09 PM

Trying to unlock a paid off phone but ATT system saying it has not been paid off

Trying to unlock a paid off phone but ATT system saying it has not been paid off?

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

6 years ago

you need to call them 1-800-288-2020 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Mariebonheur wrote:

Trying to unlock a paid off phone but ATT system saying it has not been paid off?

How long has it been paid off? Are you still an AT&T customer? Are you the original owner of the phone?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I’m not the original owner but the person that I buy the phone from
everything was paid off and I still can’t unlock it

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Mariebonheur wrote:
I’m not the original owner but the person that I buy the phone from
everything was paid off and I still can’t unlock it

Is this someone you know? If so, they should contact AT&T and make sure there's no outstanding balance. If it's not someone you know, you should try to get a refund. 

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

6 years ago

If the phone is still associate to their account, There would be limitations on when the phone can be unlocked (depending if they were a pre-paid or post-paid customer).  Your best bet is to have them go through the AT&T Unlock process or give you a refund.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

6 years ago

refund

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I own an iPhone 7 Plus, paid in full. Tried to unlock it on AT&T’s website since the phone had previously been used there. I received the message “looks like you haven’t paid off your device yet. Follow these steps tp pay off your installment plan”. The device was paid off long ago. I called AT&T and was told there is no money owed on the phone, but I must be an AT&T wireless customer to get it unlocked ( I have AT&T uverse and internet for 6 years but that counts for nothing apparently). I went to an AT&T corporate store, opened a no contract wireless account, tried to unlock the phone, and still get the same message. Now I’m being told because it’s a new account, AT&T will not unlock the phone anyway. Is it possible that AT&T uses that message on their unlock device site “haven’t paid off device” in bad faith to get around the cellular carriers CTIA Commitment, or is this just a technological oops? Need help to unlock this phone.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I own an iPhone 7 Plus, paid in full. Tried to unlock it on AT&T’s website since the phone had previously been used there. I received the message “looks like you haven’t paid off your device yet. Follow these steps tp pay off your installment plan”. The device was paid off long ago. I called AT&T and was told there is no money owed on the phone, but I must be an AT&T wireless customer to get it unlocked ( I have AT&T uverse and internet for 6 years but that counts for nothing apparently). I went to an AT&T corporate store, opened a no contract wireless account, tried to unlock the phone, and still get the same message. Now I’m being told because it’s a new account, AT&T will not unlock the phone. Any suggestions?

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Firefighter911 wrote:

I own an iPhone 7 Plus, paid in full. Tried to unlock it on AT&T’s website since the phone had previously been used there. I received the message “looks like you haven’t paid off your device yet. Follow these steps tp pay off your installment plan”. The device was paid off long ago. I called AT&T and was told there is no money owed on the phone, but I must be an AT&T wireless customer to get it unlocked ( I have AT&T uverse and internet for 6 years but that counts for nothing apparently). I went to an AT&T corporate store, opened a no contract wireless account, tried to unlock the phone, and still get the same message

Oh no...

My initial guess was that you needed to make the request as a non-customer, if you weren't already. 

However, AT&T's policy states prepaid account must be open for 6 months before phones will be unlocked, so I fear you might have really put yourself in a pickle. 

Personally, I think AT&T should waive that requirement given the circumstances and the bad information (you don't have to be an AT&T customer), but no one you can contact will be able to do that. File an FCC complaint. Someone from escalations will contact you. Hopefully that person will do the right thing. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.