For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
hinako's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, July 13th, 2015 1:42 AM

Traveling to Japan - How To Avoid Roaming Charges

okay in 2weeks i'm going to japan with my mother. my grandmother is the one who pays the phone bill for the family although i do send money that covers my part. i want to use my iphone for the camera to take pictures in japan and occasionally use Wifi only . i already plan to turn off data and all that but i dont want to charge my grandmothers bill at all including costs for calling and texting internationally .

i read that if i keep airplane mode on (while enabling wifi still) that it should be completely free of extra charges since i'm not recieving and texts or calls and i'm only using wifi (when its available). i just want to know forsure so that i dont find out about a ridiculous bill when i get back .

sorry ive never traveled internationally i really want to know before i go !

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi there @hinako

I’d be happy to help with your international charge concerns! I can confirm that as Airplane mode shuts off the network functionality of the device, it is correct that you should not incur any charges while travelling with the device in this mode. Please be advised that some devices may not allow WiFi to be enabled with Airplane Mode active or may disable Airplane mode when you attempt to connect to a WiFi network. Ensure the airplane mode icon is present in the status bar.

I hope this helps!

Charise

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

p

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Cellular data should be off as well as Wifi assist should also be off

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

If while on a trip to Japan I take my phone off Airplane Mode to use a hotel's wifi, will anything I receive during that time be charged to me?
What other low cost overseas charges can I get while on my 14 day trip so I can minimally use my iPhone w AT&T?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Airplane mode, wifi on, data off, wifi assist off. Use WhatsApp or FB messenger under these conditions 🙂

Just took an oversees trip. Some people will say wifi assist is irrelevant BUT TRUST ME, it can still stay on even when you turn the data off. Once you turn if off, you should be good. You shouldn't have to keep checking that it's off.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Nakemdead You do not have to turn airplane mode off, just turn wifi on. If you turn airplane mode off, you may get roaming charges.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you for the info. It is greatly appreciated!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Is WiFi Calling the same thing as WiFi Assist?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

Is WiFi Calling the same thing as WiFi Assist?

@Lorealblond No, they are not the same. WiFi assist is when your phone will use cellular data even when you are connected to WiFi. WiFi calling is your phone connecting to ATT’s voice network over WiFi instead of through a cell tower.  They are totally independent settings on your phone. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.