Need help understanding your bill?
TjjYoungs's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, May 6th, 2015 2:02 AM

Travel coverage in Alaska

We are taking a land and cruise to Alaska...inside passage...ending in Vancouver. Do I have coverage in Alaska and in Vancouver?

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

9 years ago

Which Cruise line you're going with??
Some cruise line may got only 2G 1900 GSM coverage with any mobile phones usage on the ship.
And you will be charge over US$6.00 per min.
That not cover under your AT&T monthly plan.

You  will be better off turn off your phone.
Wait till you're inland and made calls or texts. 
That will be under your AT&T monthly rate plan package.

You will get coverage with Rogers Wireless on the Vancouver B.C. side.
That will be on AT&T roaming rate.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Going on Holland America Oosterdam ... Thanks for the info!

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

ATT has a cruise ship package, but it doesn't cover HAL, only RCI brand ships. Here is a link to the info for non-package rates.

https://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless/international/roaming.html#tab4

Thought I'd add that when the ship is in port, the ship's cellular is turned off and if you have any service, it will be roaming on the local, land based, carrier's network.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

9 years ago

http://www.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=1597&MNC=CING

This maybe useful.

Like I say before,switch it off and wait till you're in land ,ship docked ,you can walk on land and use your phone to stay away from roaming charge in Alaska.

AT&T got coverage in Alaska?? Right??
Of course,in Vancover BC ,you will be ROAMING with Rogers Wireless.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

9 years ago

@Busternutt Never say anything for Gophone customer.
Maybe it is only for postpaid customer. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

We did a similar cruse on RCI 2 years ago and I found ATT coverage in Alaska to be excellent. In fact it surprised me as I had LTE coverage in many places which I did not expect. I also found that I was connected to ATT most of the time, even while at sea, so I did not have to worry about paying cruise ship prices. As mentioned, you will be roaming when in Vancouver and paying international rates. Highly recommend you turn data roaming off.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

9 years ago

@sandblaster
 Thank you 🙂 I found out the same way a year ago with AT&T coverage in Alaska.
Most of the time you go outside the ship ,you got AT&T coverage even at sea in Alaska.
But inside ,you will get roaming to the network from the cruise ship.

Also you need to see if the phone locked on AT&T network,sometime it may roam to the stronger signal from the cruise or some other ship close by.
  That's why I suggest most people to switch the phone off, wait till they can walk on land to use the phone Smiley Tongue 

Also, roaming in Canada is not that expensive for making phone calls, only US$1 per min.
It is the cheapest INTERNATIONAL roaming compare to other parts of the world Smiley Very Happy
But stay away from data roaming in Canada!!! OP can use WIFi in most coffee shop and bars & restaurant.(I don't seem to found any around the Cruise ship terminal in Vancouver BC,they all need password  -_-)And payphone is not too many around in Canada now.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the info!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks, will do!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.