Need help understanding your bill?
heymax777's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, September 19th, 2011 5:31 AM

Transferring Grandfathered Data Plan to New Device

I have an iPhone 3G with a grandfathered unlimited data plan.  I was thinking about getting a new phone and keeping the same plan as is.  I checked my wireless account and it shows "Data Unlimited for iPhone."  I know a phone ugrade through AT&T would require a new data plan along with a 2-year contract, so I'm avoiding that since my contract is over.  My question is, if I were to purchase an unlocked gsm smartphone elsewhere, can I just remove the sim card from my iPhone and pop it into the new phone?  Would this work?  Would this allow me to keep my same plan and everything else?  I just wanted to verify before purchasing a new phone.  Thanks in advance.

Max

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

12 years ago

@projectpaki wrote:
My situation is slightly different. I used to have an old non-smartphone and had $10 unlimited data i think back in 2008. Then my brother gave me his BB and I never was forced to get the BB Connect plan. Last year I bought a Captivate off of a friend. So I am using that now with $10 non-smartphone unlimited data without a problem. Note, I have been without a contract for past 2 years now. So if I renew will I run into any problems? The advantage of being off contract is that if they ever forced me to change my data, I could easily sale ship considering I'm not contracted.

You would think they would pick up on your device and how its accessing data. You say youve had the same sim card and using different devices since 2008? Is this unlimited nonsmart or smartphone unlimited are you saying you have?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@projectpaki wrote:
My situation is slightly different. I used to have an old non-smartphone and had $10 unlimited data i think back in 2008. Then my brother gave me his BB and I never was forced to get the BB Connect plan. Last year I bought a Captivate off of a friend. So I am using that now with $10 non-smartphone unlimited data without a problem. Note, I have been without a contract for past 2 years now. So if I renew will I run into any problems? The advantage of being off contract is that if they ever forced me to change my data, I could easily sale ship considering I'm not contracted.

Yes you will, that is not a smartphone plan so it is not grandfathered, it is a medai-net plan wheich never was valid for smarthphones but whrere added in error sometimes, so do not expect to be able to retain it

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

12 years ago

If hes got his eyes set on the new iphone 4, yep, either hes paying full non contract or hes going to have to sign up for two years and the plan that goes with it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I am also wanting to upgrade from a BB Bold 9000, unlimited plan, to a Galaxy S II, talked to a rep on 611 and she said yes you keep your unlimited data, after she talked to supervisor.  She said just order online and it will be taken care of.  I went through the motions online, only had 3 plans to pick from.  Called 611 they said no your unlimited data plan is not grandfathered.  Another 611 rep said yes your plan is grandfathered and told me to call an 866 number and they would walk me through it.  No problem.  I chat with the lady at the 866 number and she said nope not eligable only if I get another BB...  Are you kidding me?!?!

I dont want another BB!

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

12 years ago

@ICUairguy wrote:

I am also wanting to upgrade from a BB Bold 9000, unlimited plan, to a Galaxy S II, talked to a rep on 611 and she said yes you keep your unlimited data, after she talked to supervisor.  She said just order online and it will be taken care of.  I went through the motions online, only had 3 plans to pick from.  Called 611 they said no your unlimited data plan is not grandfathered.  Another 611 rep said yes your plan is grandfathered and told me to call an 866 number and they would walk me through it.  No problem.  I chat with the lady at the 866 number and she said nope not eligable only if I get another BB...  Are you kidding me?!?!

I dont want another BB!

You're getting conflicting responses back and fourth from CSR to mgrs.  Call again speak with a mgr who will actually process the upgrade with you on the phone (if you already have the phone picked out,etc. )   Either you cant transfer the unlimited to "another smartphone" when ATT says you can or someone is providing misinformation to you.

Just call back, speak with a mgr who knows that it can be done, have them process it right then and there if you are ready, so that its finally settled.  If the system at that time flags that it cant be done, then just see what they say they could or cant do.   But i think as long as its another smart device, you can keep your unlimited.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I currently have the Iphone 3GS and it is definitely time to upgrade I have the unlimited data plan for Iphone...I just tried to pre order the IPHONE 4S and it is requiring me and my brother to change our unlimited data plan to one of the other ones....What's up with that????!!!??? i thought I was "grandfather"ed in"????

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

i was told that you are grandafthered in. if anyone has clarification on this please respond. I have a family plan with 2 iphone 3gs and we just preordered 2 iphone 4s and i was told that we would be grandfathered in but there just seems to be so much confusion around the topic. I am gonna be pretty mad if i have to change my data plan.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

12 years ago

I'm just double checking on this...I had an Unlimited Media Net plan on my dumbphone $10/mo,  and 2 days ago, purchased my first Smartphone at Best Buy. They removed my dumbphone Unlimited Media Net Plan and added the 2 GB $25/mo data plan, as I wanted. 

MY question is, COULD I possibly have KEPT my Unlimted Media Net plan (grandfathered) or is this an entirely different situation? I've had someone tell me that I could have kept it but somehow, I wouldn't think so. I don't believe Unlimited Meda Net plans for Dumbphones would be grandfathered to a new Smartphone, even though I would be paying $30/mo instead of the $10. I hope this made sense to you. I just need to confirm. I need to know if I need to make any phonecalls to CC.

Thanks

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Dcookie wrote:

I'm just double checking on this...I had an Unlimited Media Net plan on my dumbphone $10/mo,  and 2 days ago, purchased my first Smartphone at Best Buy. They removed my dumbphone Unlimited Media Net Plan and added the 2 GB $25/mo data plan, as I wanted. 

MY question is, COULD I possibly have KEPT my Unlimted Media Net plan (grandfathered) or is this an entirely different situation? I've had someone tell me that I could have kept it but somehow, I wouldn't think so. I don't believe Unlimited Meda Net plans for Dumbphones would be grandfathered to a new Smartphone, even though I would be paying $30/mo instead of the $10. I hope this made sense to you. I just need to confirm. I need to know if I need to make any phonecalls to CC.

Thanks

No - unlimited Media net is not a smartphone plan. These are two different beasts.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

12 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@Dcookie wrote:

Thanks

No - unlimited Media net is not a smartphone plan. These are two different beasts.

Yea, I figured that. Just needed to make sure. But, another thing is, if they're two different beasts, how can some people get away using  the dumbphone data plan on a smartphone, until they get caught that is? It seems like it data is data, correct?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.