Need help understanding your bill?
heymax777's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, September 19th, 2011 5:31 AM

Transferring Grandfathered Data Plan to New Device

I have an iPhone 3G with a grandfathered unlimited data plan.  I was thinking about getting a new phone and keeping the same plan as is.  I checked my wireless account and it shows "Data Unlimited for iPhone."  I know a phone ugrade through AT&T would require a new data plan along with a 2-year contract, so I'm avoiding that since my contract is over.  My question is, if I were to purchase an unlocked gsm smartphone elsewhere, can I just remove the sim card from my iPhone and pop it into the new phone?  Would this work?  Would this allow me to keep my same plan and everything else?  I just wanted to verify before purchasing a new phone.  Thanks in advance.

Max

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

13 years ago

As long as you stay with any smartphone, you can keep your unlimited data.  You will need to make sure it is the right data plan for the phone but you are grandfathered to keep your unlimited data.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

289 Messages

13 years ago

As long as the frequencies work and it works with att (of course, duh lol) it will work. 😄 You can still keep your data plan as stated above as long as you have a smartphone. Att will just change you from "Unlimited iPhone" data plan to "Smartphone/Blackberry" unlimited data plan depending on which phone you get.

If you upgrade online or at an authorized retailer, it may not give the option to keep your unlimited data plan (though i've seen the option online via att.com, but not sure how much they've updated it since i haven't guided anybody throught upgrading/purchasing a new device). Att reps can change the data plan from smartphone to smartphone.

😛

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for everyone's input.  I feel more confident now in upgrading my phone and keeping my plan.  I appreciate it!Smiley Happy

Mentor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I have a similiar question.  I have the unlimited blackberry plan.  I am waiting for the new 4g samsung galaxy.  Is this transition of granfathered plans ok if I go from a 3g unlimited plan to a 4g smartphone?  I do live in a 4g area.  Thanks!

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

@Chewy wrote:

I have a similiar question.  I have the unlimited blackberry plan.  I am waiting for the new 4g samsung galaxy.  Is this transition of granfathered plans ok if I go from a 3g unlimited plan to a 4g smartphone?  I do live in a 4g area.  Thanks!

No difference....You are going from a smartphone to a smartphone!!!!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Hi all,

What about an LG phone? And I tether. 😕 However, this is the only internet we can get down here other than dialup! So I am so thankful for this plan! But I am eligible for an upgrade.

Thanks.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Here's an update on my recent cell phone upgrade.  I upgraded my phone through Best Buy.  I went with the LG Thrill and renewed my contract with AT&T.  I was able to get the phone for $49 after price match.  The regular price is $99.  For those who want to get it even cheaper, check out Walmart.com and you can get the phone for $19.99 with contract right now!

Now back to my upgrade with Best Buy....I was able to keep my unlimited data plan along with my original calling plan.  My new LG Thrill truly outclasses my old iPhone 3G on every level except the battery life.  I highly recommend this phone to anyone looking for a nice upgrade.  Furthermore, the folks at Best Buy didn't hassle me with any extras or expensive packages, so it was a pleasant experience.  The LG Thrill is expecting to get the Gingerbread update this month, so go out and get this phone while the price is right!Smiley Happy

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@StarofG0D wrote:
Hi all,

What about an LG phone? And I tether. 😕 However, this is the only internet we can get down here other than dialup! So I am so thankful for this plan! But I am eligible for an upgrade.

Thanks.

If you are tehtering on the unlimited data plan expect to get a email or a text from ATT, tethering is not permitted on the unlimited data plan, if you end up in the top 5 percent of grandfather unlimited data plan users the bandwidth will be throttled heavily until you next billing cycle

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

12 years ago

@heymax777 wrote:

Here's an update on my recent cell phone upgrade.  I upgraded my phone through Best Buy.  I went with the LG Thrill and renewed my contract with AT&T.  I was able to get the phone for $49 after price match.  The regular price is $99.  For those who want to get it even cheaper, check out Walmart.com and you can get the phone for $19.99 with contract right now!

Now back to my upgrade with Best Buy....I was able to keep my unlimited data plan along with my original calling plan.  My new LG Thrill truly outclasses my old iPhone 3G on every level except the battery life.  I highly recommend this phone to anyone looking for a nice upgrade.  Furthermore, the folks at Best Buy didn't hassle me with any extras or expensive packages, so it was a pleasant experience.  The LG Thrill is expecting to get the Gingerbread update this month, so go out and get this phone while the price is right!Smiley Happy

Heymax you are right!  As long as your upgrade is another smartphone, you will keep your grandfathered unlimited plan! Aint that great?!  Ive made an upgrade from a Tilt2 to the Dell Streak which was ordered direct from Dell.com and not ATT, and still, the entire transition was seamless and nothing was lost or discontinued!  Cool huh!?

dell.jpg  

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

My situation is slightly different. I used to have an old non-smartphone and had $10 unlimited data i think back in 2008. Then my brother gave me his BB and I never was forced to get the BB Connect plan. Last year I bought a Captivate off of a friend. So I am using that now with $10 non-smartphone unlimited data without a problem. Note, I have been without a contract for past 2 years now. So if I renew will I run into any problems? The advantage of being off contract is that if they ever forced me to change my data, I could easily sale ship considering I'm not contracted.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.