For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
erikthauvin's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, July 6th, 2012 2:11 AM

Transfer Primary Family Number

My wife and I have a family plan. My phone is the primary phone on the account. I'd like to transfer my primary phone number to a different carrier, but would like to keep my wife's number on the family plan. I may add additional phones to my family plan at a later time.

Is there anything special I need to do make sure that the transfer happens, and that my wife's phone number is not cancelled along with my phone when transferred?

Additionally, my phone is no longer under contract, but my wife's is. Could that cause another set of issues?

Thanks,

E.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@erikthauvin wrote:

My wife and I have a family plan. My phone is the primary phone on the account. I'd like to transfer my primary phone number to a different carrier, but would like to keep my wife's number on the family plan. I may add additional phones to my family plan at a later time.

Is there anything special I need to do make sure that the transfer happens, and that my wife's phone number is not cancelled along with my phone when transferred?

Additionally, my phone is no longer under contract, but my wife's is. Could that cause another set of issues?

Thanks,

E.

Might be easier to handle in a retail outlet, if your wife's phone is then I would guess you need to transfer her to a stand alone plan then go to your new carrier and have them initiate the number port. You should also make sure your phone is out of contract, if your phone is eligible for upgrade it may not be out of contract, upgrade time period is 20 months in most cases, contract is 24 months. The only thing that will more then likely be lost is any grandfathered features that your wife would have - unlimited data as an example

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply. A trip to the store appears to be inevitable.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.